I'm officially Systainer-less

wouldwurker

I finally got rid of these monstrosities and it feels great.

Every other brand of plastic tool case got eighty-sixed long ago...not sure why I held on to these goofy things for so long.

1a1a3a58cb15496675127955fc2778ea.jpg

Domino and tenons found a home in a very accessible drawer, and the half sheet lives on my sanding station.

0878ef58b62eea7a8d6b3e8d517d29b6.jpg

[eb3882f3f7d38a53372a710b17d2e093.jpg

It takes a man exceptionally comfortable with his masculinity to ditch the systainers like that.  I agree...in a stationary shop they are only consumers of space and obstacles to get to tools quickly.  Worthless, but they do make your shop look like you're awesome.  I'm not there yet but I admire your pragmatism.

• Like 1

You are going to turn them out and make them homeless?

Now I want to take a photo series of a systainers life on the streets.

I might be a bit odd really.

No, not currently in the plan but, I still like the idea.  

I built smaller cabinets that fit in where they get in.  

xs1c.jpg

• Like 1

I like my systainers but I completely understand your move to de clutter.

Things like circular saws that sit awkwardly on my shelf and have a lead draping all over the place tick me off. Hence, a systainer for my 9 1/4 " Bosch circular saw. I use the 75 TS systainer and after a couple of modifications inside it fits like a glove. I went to the extent of building an adjustable shelving system that is the correct width and depth of the systainers..... love it! They are also helpful for containing all the bits and pieces that accompany the power tool. Charger, batteries, chucks, blades, clamps.....

If you want to post them over to Australia I would happily tell everyone what a wonderful person you are.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, I've been trying for years to figure out why Festool doesn't make Systainers an option when buying a tool and give us the choice of buying tools in environmentally friendly cardboard boxes. Hell, I wouldn't even ask for a discount! It takes a heckuva lot less energy and hydrocarbons to make an easily recyclable cardboard box than one of those useless plastic contraptions not to mention the time and effort it takes to sell the thing because you think you paid for it and would like to recoup some of your expenses.

I will say that the SYS3 makes a convenient storage box for 6" sanding discs and if you're short on drawer or cabinet room stacking tools in Systainers on their cart makes it easy to move them around and out of the way. I have two of the carts, one holds the OF2200, the accessory kit, the first-aid kit and a SYS1 with Kreg screws. Those are in the older Systainers with the flip-latches that are next to impossible to open without a prybar. The other cart carries the TS-75, Domino tenon assortment and the Domino in the new T-loc Systainers which are much improved, you can at least open them with the average human hand.  If I had more storage space in the shop they'd all be shitcanned.

I used to think that the Systainers would be a Godsend to the on-site carpenter but I think back to my days as a trim carpenter and I could never have fitted all the tools I needed with their Systainers into my truck. They may be easy to stack up and haul around but you need a vehicle with a lot more storage room than a custom-designed system of racks, boxes and shelves in an ordinary pickup with a camper shell.

Again, welcome to the club!

Best,

Bill

I should go back and qualify my earlier posts..  The Festool ones are the only ones that are still in use in my shop.  All of the other cases for stuff is gone.

With some of the Festool stuff, the systainer is way better than the alternative.  I know with my FT routers and dominos, i'm glad I have the systainers.

• Like 2

Welcome to the club, I've been trying for years to figure out why Festool doesn't make Systainers an option when buying a tool and give us the choice of buying tools in environmentally friendly cardboard boxes. Hell, I wouldn't even ask for a discount! It takes a heckuva lot less energy and hydrocarbons to make an easily recyclable cardboard box than one of those useless plastic contraptions not to mention the time and effort it takes to sell the thing because you think you paid for it and would like to recoup some of your expenses.

I will say that the SYS3 makes a convenient storage box for 6" sanding discs and if you're short on drawer or cabinet room stacking tools in Systainers on their cart makes it easy to move them around and out of the way. I have two of the carts, one holds the OF2200, the accessory kit, the first-aid kit and a SYS1 with Kreg screws. Those are in the older Systainers with the flip-latches that are next to impossible to open without a prybar. The other cart carries the TS-75, Domino tenon assortment and the Domino in the new T-loc Systainers which are much improved, you can at least open them with the average human hand.  If I had more storage space in the shop they'd all be shitcanned.

I used to think that the Systainers would be a Godsend to the on-site carpenter but I think back to my days as a trim carpenter and I could never have fitted all the tools I needed with their Systainers into my truck. They may be easy to stack up and haul around but you need a vehicle with a lot more storage room than a custom-designed system of racks, boxes and shelves in an ordinary pickup with a camper shell.

Again, welcome to the club!

Best,

Bill

Bill.

In Australia you do have the option of buying the sanders in cardboard boxes and they are cheaper that way.

Regarding the old style systainers, try graphite powder on the contacting parts and flip them open and shut about 20 times and you should notice a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear ya! I just bought an OF 1400 router and I don't have ANYPLACE to put the Sys 3 box. It's sitting on my shop floor now. I am so tight on space that I'm ready to ditch the Systainers and go naked green kool-aid! 

I will hang on to them because I'm OCD like that and I do take them out and about to work and friend's "jobs" to keep everything organized when away from the shop.