Pilgrim Drawing Tables

joe mendel

Beautiful work. How thick was the mahogany for the legs? Were you able to source dry material or did you laminate them?

The legs are 16/4 stock that was kiln dried.  The board that the legs are turn with had awesome swirling grain, but not so much as to lend them to warping.

Really nice work.  I really like the carving on the face.  I think your mirror would look good with some carvings too, although the grain on it is so pretty it would almost be blasphemous.

The mirror is a reproduction of an English mirror c.1760.  I didn't want to change anything other than the original had a lesser color to my taste.  The carvings was plagiarized from a table I was in Wallace Nutting's first volume. 

Awesome work, I know a lot of people don't reply to your posts but I think it is because we are all baffled by the pieces you produce.  Thanks for sharing, it's really inspiring.  Now if I could just find the time to finish my workbench... 

Awesome work, I know a lot of people don't reply to your posts but I think it is because we are all baffled by the pieces you produce.  Thanks for sharing, it's really inspiring.  Now if I could just find the time to finish my workbench... 

Thank you for the kind words.  I am just a furniture nerd.  I started in the shop when I was eight.  My father was a general sales manager for Delta/Rockwell, so we had one heck of a wood shop out in the barn.  I also grew up in a town where a career in the arts was a highly considered profession.  We had artist all over town.   My next door neighbor back in PA was George Nakishima, he taught me quite a bit.  Also I have apprenticed under some other very talented men and have paid tens of thousands of dollars to "gits me sum wood lernins."  I have done restoration work on hundreds of true antiques, and have made over three hundred period pieces over the past forty years.

All in a life's work...

• Like 1

Joe, your work is awe inspiring to me. I have only been at this a few years, so to be able to see up close the impeccable craftsmanship you bring  and anything I pick up along the way is a real treat. Thanks for sharing all these great creations.

Thank You.