Walnut Butcher Block Top

Well we are in the final stages of the reno/build of our home and have moved back into the house and are feeling quite happy about the whole project.

Some will recall a couple of posts months ago about our concerns with our build and our builder. After navigating the trials and tribulations of all that we are at the finish line. Just a few odd's and ends to do that I will complete and we will have a 99% new home.

Pictured is the walnut island butcher block top. It came un finished as we wanted to get our hands dirty.

I bought some food grade oil and need to do some sanding to get this baby gleaming.

Any advice as usual on this process would be much appreciated.

The plan with this is that it will be fully functioning as a cutting and food prep surface. We want it to live with us in our kitchen so staining and marks to us will only add carachter.

post-3759-0-85336300-1432230964_thumb.jp

I'll add that a topcoat of besswax / mineral oil blend really helps repel water, even though it still requires frequent re-application. If you melt & blend the mixture yourself, I suggest 1 part wax to 2 parts oil, by weight, not volume. This makes a hard paste that is more water repellent than most commercial blends.