Cutting Board Project Shirley the Sheep

rguinn

This is my first cutting board project, and has a little back story.  My daughter was recently nominated to join a Band festival  European tour, she plays Trombone in her school Jazz band.  The tour is next summer, 16 days and 9 countries and she'll get to play in some really cool venues and visit all kinds of interesting places, London, Paris, Venice, and in the Swiss alps. . The catcher is the price tag. 

We had a conversation on what she can do to earn money to contribute to the cost of the trip.  One possible idea was for her to design and work with me to build a few unique cutting boards and try to sell them, if we can then we'll build a few more and continue the process.

This is her design which she built in a pixel art editor.

I ran all the wood through the jointer and table saw, she helped with all the planning and sanding.  She also did all the cuts on the miter saw to turn this pile of wood into 300+ 9" blocks.

post-15400-0-31823400-1433443513_thumb.jpost-15400-0-91807000-1433443514_thumb.jpost-15400-0-36622600-1433443516_thumb.j

Each row of blocks is aprox 9" panel, that was glued up and then cut to the final dim of the cutting board and reassembled with all the other rows.  We were able to get five individual cutting boards that are little less then 1.5" thick

The horizontal lines are very clean, the vertical lines are a little off, but I think it adds to the visual elements of the sheep.

post-15400-0-58291300-1433443517_thumb.j post-15400-0-43513600-1433443518_thumb.j

There are no gaps, but one mistake, one of the rows in the face needs to be flipped but oh well.  The woods are Cherry, Maple, walnut, and Makore. 

I should have swapped the walnut and Makore I think it'd look better alternating those colors.

Its a little silly, but looks pretty good, so we're going to try to sell them and the proceeds will go towards my daughters trip.  She has a couple other designs so if these sell, and she keeps working hard we'll make some more pixel cutting boards.

• Like 1

would be easy enough to make a chicken, pig, all the regular butcher animals including my favorite the guinea pig :) glad she is trying to raise some money instead of just holding out her hand and saying give me. maybe she can have a block party and project babe, chicken run, and Shaun the sheep. when she gets done with all her designs post them on here i might buy one.