Help me with next Festool purchases

estesbubba

I recently had surgery and on 6 weeks of light duty (15 lbs or less). I have another surgery scheduled for the middle of September which means another 6 weeks. Since I have more idle time than normal, and since my Roubo project will be sitting until November, I've had plenty of time to drink green Kool-aid. Here is what I'm looking at:

TS 55 REQ Track Saw

- Ask dealer to replace 55" guide with LR32 55" guide (AKA Holey rail)

- Add on 75" which when attached to 55" rail will give 118" of ripping

- Add on guide connectors, guide quick clamp, and splinter guards (anything else?)

OF 1400 EQ Router

I keep going back and forth between this and the 2200. I currently have 2 Dewalk DW618 2 1/4HP kits that each has fixed and plunge bases. One plunge base is dedicated to my Leigh FMT and I could dedicate the other plunge base to my Leigh D4 dovetail jig. I have a Hitachi M12V 3 1/2HP router mounted in my router table. So my thoughts are I need a good everyday router for all my hand-held operations and think the 1400 would be perfect. I could always get the 2200 down the road, like maybe when Tom decides to spread his mulch. What do you guys think on the 1400 vs 2200 for me? Here is what I would add to the 1400.

- Parallel edge guide

- Guide stop

- Support foot

Finally since I'm getting a router I can add a MFT/3 table for 10% off. Having a larger shop is there any benefit to doing this, or since I have the space, could I build something better? Maybe something that could double as a MFT-like table and assembly table that is bigger? 

Both are awesome!  

I haven't played with the OF2200 but, I do have the OF1400.  I love it for my every day routing stuff.  My concern with the 2200 would be the overall size, thing is huge!  I have the Bosch 1617 dedicated to my Leigh jig.

Mike both are great purchases, I would swap the MFT with a vac for the 10% off.  Make your own MFT it will be more stable. I have the MFT but I am still looking at building a more stable MFT type bench. Get a 36mm hose will work better with both tools.  

As for the rails, good choice in swapping the regular for Holey rail.  Since you have the large shop, I would get the 3000mm rail.  That way you can skip the connectors.  If you decide that you want to connect rails, look at the Betterley guide rail connector, best $100 I spent. 

I like the quick clamps instead of the screw clamps.  I have the rapid action clamp which I like, but others don't. 

The splinter guards will last a long time, but doesn't hurt to have on hand.  

Edited by Woodenskye

I'd go with the 1400 over the 2200, at least to start. You get three collets with the 1400, plus you have the ability to use the plug-it in your workflow with the track saw and anything else - 2200 pulls too much power (so says Festo) for a removable cord, so it's hard-wired. That may or may not be a concern for you, but it was a factor for me. As TIDOS mentioned, the 2200 is a monster - in good and bad ways.

I have been well-known for my defense of Craftsman routers, but I sold them once the 1400 came along. It could have a couple more features, namely lights, but it is a fantastic router. I'd go with the middle ground for now (and it's compatible with the LR32 system, the 2200 is not designed to be) because you'll use it for nearly everything. On those rare occasions you need to heft around bigger, take the Makita out or then re-evaluate your need for the 2200. I was seeing them go used on FOG this summer for about $600, so it seems like there are some who go big and then don't find the need for the heft or power. The dropping dust cylinder can't be beat though, can it?

Get the vac instead of the MFT for now. Make your own or get it later. You could build a really nice one with just the replacement top and a design of your choosing. Or a Paulk bench.

Only thing I really don't like about the 1400 is having to take the bases off to go bigger or smaller. There was the ability to go with a better design choice and they didn't.

I love these threads Mike! I guess its because i'm always trying to decide what to get next as well...lol

As for the rails for the track saw, i am with Bryan. Spend the extra on the 3000 rail. I did when i got the ts55 and I love it. I almost threw up at the price but don't regret it now....

As for the router, I would get the 2200. It is heavy but it is actually very usable. I don't find it cumbersome at all due to the amazing ergonomics. You aren't doing curls with it or overhead routing so i think you will be fine. When you get the acc kit with it you have an amazingly versatile powerhouse on your hands. It performs better on the rail than the of1010 does imo, i have both routers. I dont feel the need for the 1400 since i have a small one in the 1010 and the big one the 2200. You already have a couple smaller routers so its time to  go big or go home. OF2200 with acc kit. Seriously one of the best power tools I have ever used and I am sure Tom feels the same.

Don't get the mft, It is a crazy price and not needed for a woodworking shop. I think it would be amazing for the jobsite though. That said, you can use that money to buy the LR32 system and build your own. That's what i did. I probably wouldn't have spent the money on the LR32 system for cabinets alone but since i am able to make mft tops as well, for me it was worth it.

Edit: Just realized that you would need a compatible router for the LR32 as Cochese said. But that wouldn't stop me from getting the 2200. I would just hold off on the mft and plan for the LR32 and a compatible router in the future. 

Edited by shaneymack

Mike. Since you have a CT 26, I agree with Shane and get the LR32 set.

I would add the 36mm hose it will improve extraction of both tools.  

If you do decide to get the MFT make sure you get the cross braces, they do make it more stable, but it won't replace a real workbench.  I added a shelf to mine and can do some lite hand tool work but it still wobbles. I don't regret buying, but probably wouldn't buy it again.

One other thing I would add to the TS is an additional limit stop.

Edited by Woodenskye

I have both of those and they're a couple of my favorite and most used tools.  The OF2200 is overkill for most tasks but it's a killer machine.  The 1400 is better for an every day driver.  Unless you're hogging tons of material all day every day, I don't see the need for the 2200.  I'll get one eventually because I'm pathetic...but it's far from a shop necessity.  Sorry Tom and Shane. :)

I have both of those and they're a couple of my favorite and most used tools.  The OF2200 is overkill for most tasks but it's a killer machine.  The 1400 is better for an every day driver.  Unless you're hogging tons of material all day every day, I don't see the need for the 2200.  I'll get one eventually because I'm pathetic...but it's far from a shop necessity.  Sorry Tom and Shane. :)

I had an of1010 and wanted a handheld router that had 1/2" collet capability. I am not a fan of that ergonomics of the 1010 and 1400. That is what led me to the 2200. That and I look really cool using it.

Once you buy your 2200, you will retract your previous statement and join team Shane and Tom. 

• Like 1

No I won't.  The 2200 is like using a jackhammer to remove plaque off of teeth.  It would be great for hogging out big mortises, etc, but I can't see myself reaching for it often when the 1400 offers plenty of power for most jobs in a much more compact tool.  I love the ergonomics of the 1400.

No I won't.  The 2200 is like using a jackhammer to remove plaque off of teeth.  It would be great for hogging out big mortises, etc, but I can't see myself reaching for it often when the 1400 offers plenty of power for most jobs in a much more compact tool.  I love the ergonomics of the 1400.

That makes sense since you love the ergonomics of that machine. For me, since i dont like it as much i would probably use the 2200 more often due to how comfortable it is and it really doesn't seem as big as it is to me. I guess you would have to try it to see what i mean. This is coming from a guy who used to only have one router years ago. It was the freud ft2200 which is huge. I did everything with it. It was in my router table and it was my freehand. I actually took that thing out of the table everytime i needed to route freehand. Man those were different times. I was young and broke.

I've played around with one at Woodcraft.  There's no denying it's a beast of a router and it definitely gives me the urge to get out the credit card just to have the damn thing.  But I do imagine it to be a bit cumbersome for my workflow...not the ergonomics, but the sheer size and weight.  I do mostly medium to small furniture builds, and it would just seem ridiculously huge for most of my workpieces.  Like smoothing a little box part with a jointer plane. :blink::D

I'm not poo-pooing it...like I said, I want one.  But Mike is asking about an every day driver, and the 1400 is the clear winner for that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I spoke with the dealer that steered me to the ETS 150/5 over the 150/3 years ago which I was happy with the decision. His reasoning then was get 150/3 if the big Rotex was in my future otherwise get the 150/5. The 150/5 leaves a great finish with 220 to my naked eye so I'm happy with that advice. 

After telling him my current router situation he said get the 1400 for my needs. He said if you're routing sink openings in counter tops all day then the 2200 would make sense. 

• Like 1

Speaking of shop necessity you get that Fuji yet B)

This thread is very timely.  I have been using Bosch routers and I am not exactly happy with it.  I am getting spoiled with the precision of the Festool products.  So, I have been debating which router to get.  I almost pulled the trigger on the 1400 last night but held off.  With the above information, I think I have just made up my mind.  So, thank you.

Side note: since I could not decide on routers, I ordered the Domino XL ;) instead.

This thread is very timely.  I have been using Bosch routers and I am not exactly happy with it.  I am getting spoiled with the precision of the Festool products.  So, I have been debating which router to get.  I almost pulled the trigger on the 1400 last night but held off.  With the above information, I think I have just made up my mind.  So, thank you.

Side note: since I could not decide on routers, I ordered the Domino XL ;) instead.

Should of ordered the 500 ;)

• Like 1

Good purchase on the domino xl. I have it and love it. Make sure you get the seneca adapter and the plates.

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/rts-500-cutter-adapter-for-festool-df700

With this you will have a machine that can do 5mm dominos up to 14mm.

Good purchase on the domino xl. I have it and love it. Make sure you get the seneca adapter and the plates.

http://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/rts-500-cutter-adapter-for-festool-df700

With this you will have a machine that can do 5mm dominos up to 14mm.

I don't want to hijack the thread but ......  5 mm adapter ordered and on the way.

I agree that the 500 would have been great but I see some doors /  big items in my future, hence the 700.  I really didn't want to buy both, yet.

I don't want to hijack the thread but ......  5 mm adapter ordered and on the way.

I agree that the 500 would have been great but I see some doors /  big items in my future, hence the 700.  I really didn't want to buy both, yet.

Well with that setup you won't need both!

Having both the 1400 and the 2200. I will say the 2200 is more comfortable, It's like going from a baseball stadium seat to a laz-e-boy. The 2200 is a big monster of a router though. For smaller pattern routing, shallow smaller mortises on 3/4" I'd use the 1400. For dados, and most things that require anything deeper than an inch, and hogging out lots of material, the 2200 is your best bet. The added weight of the 2200 gives it an enormous amount of stability. I find the 1400 cumbersome to hold for the most part. the switch handle should rotate about 45 degrees so that the trigger is away from you and gives you better ergonomics when holding. Or even better make it rotate 45, 90, 45 so lefties can use it too.