Connecting woodworking to your day job

Hey everyone,

Like a lot of us, I have a full time day job in an office and woodwork on the side.  When I'm at work, I often dream about being out in my shop. I love being able to connect what I do at work to work in my shop.  I wrote a quick article about lessons I have learned out in the shop that help me in my office job.  Its posted on LinkedIn here and on my personal site here

I would love to hear what you think about it. What have you learned from woodworking that has spilled over into other aspects of your life?

• Like 1

Great article Ryan.  Lots of good points.  I liked the part about critical thinking,  This is something that is being over looked in education.  I have a grandson that is a freshman in high school and gets good grades but struggles with working through a problem when it shows up when we work together in the shop.   He is starting to see that through some thought you can find a way to fix or work around what happened.  If that is all he gets out of wood working I would be happy, but he does come over quit often to do something in the shop, which is easy for him because they live next door, so he definetely seems to enjoy it.

If you pursue doing the projects in your hobby to the best of your ability it can have an effect on all of your pursuits if you welcome it.  You don't have to be OCD about it just your best effort.  I also think that something like wood working, if you let it, will help you slow down your life.

Great thoughts, Ryan! I have to agree with Chet on the critical thinking part. Most kids seem to struggle with this concept, and I think a lot of it is because of limited life experience. Too much time spent learning theory in a classroom, or working through the repeating patterns of a video game. Get 'em outside ir into the shop and DO SOMETHING in the real world! If it goes unexpectedly, make it right or make it a feature.