New hobby - finishing for work table

TonyCT

Hello all, I'm new to woodworking; had some basic tools that were just collecting dust, moved to a new home and decided I wanted a hobby. (I apologize if this is wrong forum)

I have no concept of types of wood or how to plan a project.  I am learning as I go and though the internet is useful haven't looked up any videos or forums (until this one) to learn.

My first project is a work bench/table for more projects and tools. Went down to the home depot and picked up some lumber - bought 4x4s and cut them to about 4' trimmed the top to fit my 2x4 frame (3'x5') Also got some 2x8 and 2x10 for the table surface. 

I'm thinking of how to complete the project; i figure that I should probably put some sort of finish on the wood to protect it.  Or perhaps to protect me from it.  The project is only during little bit of free time, so some of the wood sat waiting and pieces seemed to have some sap squeezing out of the cut portions.

I don't think I care to stain the wood, just seal it off.  This is my first project and will probably revisit and build another table down the road when(if) I keep this up and get better.

This is my progress so far.  I plan to add 2 more 2x4 blocks into the middle of the frame to help support the table surface. I included a link to a Google Drive shared folder since they all seemed to be too large for upload.

Photos of Project

• Like 1

Welcome! It sounds like the table already has plenty of beef to it, unless you're using it to work on engine blocks ;)

Depending on what the table is for, you might not need much of a finish.  If you want something quick just to protect it a bit, get a wipe-on poly or similar product, should be easy to apply and quick enough.  Some of my shop furniture is just quick-and dirty stuff so I don't apply any finish and it does just fine.

I worked on an unfinished bench for years, worked fine. When i finally popped it apart to reglue the already popped joints and flatten it i just did a couple coats of boiled linseed oil. The only reason i did this was so glue squeeze out or drips of finish didnt stick to it. It also acts as an outfeed table for my table saw so having a semi smooth surface is useful but at the same time- even though its not a great finish, its still a bit more slippery than just raw wood so for normal bench work you need to keep that in mind.

Hi, Tony! Welcome to the forum. My advice on you workbench is to leave it bare, at least for a couple of months. You have already noticed, the construction lumber you used isn't fully dried, as evidenced by the sap oozing out. You will likely find that the benchtop will warp a bit as it dries, and require re-flattening. After that, a little finish does help with cleanup, but isn't really necessary.

I have a forced air heating system in the basement where the table will be... I'm thinking with the heat running for fall/winter I can dry out the wood better than in the garage where it was sitting waiting to be used.

Is there anything wrong with say sanding and finishing the surface only? I just want to avoid splinters and sap on the work surface.

Hi, Tony! Welcome to the forum. My advice on you workbench is to leave it bare, at least for a couple of months. You have already noticed, the construction lumber you used isn't fully dried, as evidenced by the sap oozing out. You will likely find that the benchtop will warp a bit as it dries, and require re-flattening. After that, a little finish does help with cleanup, but isn't really necessary.

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place to get the information you are looking for, just keep asking questions.   You will get good, helpful answers. Some humorous, some sarcastic and some very in-depth, but always good useful information.

I think what Ross said above is a good way to go.  

Tony, welcome. Your first sentence indicates you're not at the wrong spot. Wood, whether it be hobby or livelihood, is what this place is all about. Looks like you're off to a pretty good start with that table. 2+ what Ross (win highlander) said.