Counter tops

mrrhode04

OK, this is my first journal.....kinda. I made a journal after the fact of one of my cutting boards that I did, but this will be the first journal that will go along while I am building. So my cousin bought a new house and he wants me to build the counter tops. He wants white oak butcher block style counter tops. Below is a picture of the layout of his kitchen.

Layout.jpg

Here is a picture of when I got home from the lumber yard with the lumber, yeah I know the trailer is a bit over kill but that is all I have. No the purple heart did not ride there from the lumber yard.

Trialer.jpg

Here is the first glue up, my plan is to do the three large glue ups in halves and then glue the halves together.

Glue up.jpg

Once they are all glued up I will be bringing them to a local cabinet shop and have them ran through their Time Saver, the thing is huge 54" wide and triple drum.

I have a couple questions.

1. There is going to be a 45 degree joint is the one corner and I plan in using something for alignment plus fasteners on the bottom like these. http://www.rockler.com/tite-joint-fastener My question is should I also epoxy that joint? That joint has to assembled while installing the counters. I plan on having the counters tops finished before I bring them over to his house.

2. What other things should I keep in mind while making these?

What jointer are you using, and how straight did you get those 129" boards? Ive done a couple 10-12 footers, and they are a bugger with full length boards. I noticed the slightest of bowing over my lengths, maybe like a 1/16" over 11'. Just barely noticeable by eye staring down the edge of the board. 

I had my lumber yard face two sides and cut to width for me, it was only $56 for any amount of lumber. It saved me hours of work. I haven't done the long section yet, I haven't decided if I want to do them in one section or put a seem some where. I am building them all over size so I can make straight edges once they are glue together.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you looking for a picture of the joint at the 90 degree corner? It is a standard miter joint. I bought all the lumber S2S and rip to width so I didn't have to process any of the lumber before gluing it together. My lumber yard only charged $56 to do all the processing so I figure that saves me a few hours of work. To get the two halves of each counter top to match nicely I used my hand plane.

• 1 month later...

Yep the white thing at the end of the island is going away. He wants one that is pretty close to the same thing but cut straight across from where the outer chamfers are. So the only angle cuts will be what go back to the island. There is two large supports under the table top right now that should be enough to hold it up.