Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMAwoodworks

White kitchen

17 posts in this topic

Beautiful kitchen. What paint was used?

Looks good! You used solid 1/2" maple for the boxes??

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Good looking cabinets. I like it.

No I used 1/2 Maple plywood. I didn't paint them so I don't know sorry

1 person likes this

Looks great!  I would have thought that 1/2" ply would be too thin for a kitchen's requirements.  Have you ever run into concerns with strength of the boxes or shelving?  I am guessing not, judging by the quality of your work.

I use 3/4 maple plywood for the shelf's I have built many cabinets boxes out of 1/2 maple plywood and never had a call back because of a problem I only get call backs for more cabinets. .

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JMAwoodworks said:

I use 3/4 maple plywood for the shelf's I have built many cabinets boxes out of 1/2 maple plywood and never had a call back because of a problem I only get call backs for more cabinets. .

Cabinets look fantastic! What kind of jounery do you use on the 1/2" boxes?

I pocket joint and glue the face frames then I dado the the top sides and the bottom. everything gets glued clamped and tacked. never had a problem. 

This is another one I did the same way. Like I said I have made a lot of cabinets this way. I just finished one to day I will post some picture once he install them.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

2 people like this

My cabinets are 40 years old.  Boxes are 1/2" ply.  Drawers are 1/2" solid wood, rabetted (no dovetails) and stapled.  Drawers slides are the cheap roller kind.  Guess what?  They are all perfect after 40 years.  We are going to replace them because we are gutting the whole kitchen, but honestly the 3/4" boxes, 3/4" DT drawers, blum soft close slides and 1" FF and 1" drawer fronts you see nowadays are totally overkill and just fodder for future land fills. I know that is what people want, and what people will pay for.  but people are dumb.  Kitchens are not furniture.  They get used, abused, and disposed.  

Well said. I too use solid 1/2" poplar for my drawers but I dove tail them they look better. 

This is a reface kitchen I did . I like doing them there fast just make doors and cover the face frames in veneer

9.jpeg

Take a look at my Facebook page JMAwoodworks there's a lot on there. 

1 person likes this

You veneer the face frames in place? Seems like a hassle, would be curious to see any extra pictures of how you do that (if you have any handy). Thx for sharing.

2 people like this

I make all of the doors in the shop then I reface the cabinets face frames and sides the ones that show with PSA veneer  in the customer home ,I use general finishes dye and water base top coat so there's no smell. That's the hole idea of reface you don't have to do anything to the counter top.stays in place.These are the before pictures.as you can see there's a huge difference. They replaced the back splash.

2.jpg

4.jpg

JMAwoodworks you do some amazing work thanks for sharing!!

I think a reface job can be a pain some times because of building and installing new draws in old cabinets.  I do no some guys that also build with 1/2' ply and dont have any problem with it.  Nice work.

This was a complete new build I did out of maple.

13.jpg

14.JPG

6.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Dang that is one long set of cabinets LOL

1 person likes this