Table base advice

I Am building a round breakfast table and doing a pedastal style base, not sure if design yet, but my question is .......is there some ratio that I should go by to determine the width of the base relative to the top so that it will be stable?? In other words, if the top is 52" across, does the pedastal base need to be 1/2 of that (26") or more? What is the rule of thumb for this??

Is the base made of wood? Can you add weight to the bottom? Lowering the center of gravity can let you have a smaller footprint and remain stable. If the table is all one species, and has a relatively light base, I'd tend to stay around 2/3 of the top diameter. If you can add enough mass to the bottom, 1/2 the top diameter, maybe a bit less,should work fine.

Metal or wood will be fine, although you might find metal parts that give you more strength and better balance for less bulk.

Do you plan on using radial feet at the bottom of the pedestal, or a disk? A disk base gives you the full radius of supprt from every direction, while feet that radiate from the pedestal give support at a shorter radius between any two of the feet. So keeping the center of gravity low makes such a table less "tippy".

Kyle Toth used barbell plates attached under a table base to help this issue.

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

1/2 the width is as small as I would go with a heavy weighted base. Somewhere between that to 2/3 is safer. I played with a number of width legs/base " x" on pedestal tables. And prefer to err on the safer side.

I read the first time that you played with a number of legs under the table but knew that couldn't be right, so I re-read it. 

• Like 2