Tilt-Top Table Begins May 3rd

Just a quick heads up to Guild members and potential Guild members. The Tilt-Top Table project begins May 3rd. 

Current subscribers will get this project for free. 

New subscribers must join by May 3rd to get this project as part of their subscription. So if you are on the fence, don't delay. 

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/members/projects/tilt-top-table/

http://youtu.be/WCcPGK6D-Nk

Can't wait!  I'm in a slump right now and could use a kick.

Did you decide for sure that you're doing both a turned and a sculpted version?  I'm lathe-less.  :)

I bet your turned version will be walnut and the sculpted one mahogany.  Right?  Am I right?  LOL

Just picked up a Louisville Slugger for the table build, definitely made out of Ash. The more and more I think about using a bat the more I like it. I am a huge baseball fan and I think I am going to use the entire bat in this build, make the table close to pub height and add some design elements to the top featuring the Chicago Cubs logos. This will be perfect for my many cave and go well with my Cubs Kegerator! 

Just picked up a Louisville Slugger for the table build, definitely made out of Ash. The more and more I think about using a bat the more I like it. I am a huge baseball fan and I think I am going to use the entire bat in this build, make the table close to pub height and add some design elements to the top featuring the Chicago Cubs logos. This will be perfect for my many cave and go well with my Cubs Kegerator! 

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I can only get ash, maple or hickory bats. I was going to turn it from a hunk of sapele I've got but I was saving that for a bass guitar build. I really like the shape of the "baseball bat" column in the plans and noticed that the slugger had a pleasing shape that will probably suit this build really well. 

Ash it is but I'm going to do a different shaped top (not round and not square/rectangular).

Just don't order any aluminum bats by mistake people :P  :D

I was going to turn it from a hunk of sapele I've got but I was saving that for a bass guitar build.

I'm glad that large blank of sapele was saved for another day.  It's hard to tell from the plans, but this is a little table and only about 29" tall.  We did play with some other tops, but kept coming back to the simple oval.

I am also very interested in lathe-less options for this build.  I am hoping Marc that you do have the time to explore some "alternate" options. :)

I am going with the Louisville Slugger option on one table. I did buy two bell forest kits and have a friend with a die grinder so I am going to try the carved leg as well.

What about making the top in the shape of home plate? Maybe put baseballs on the feet, sort of a ball and claw? 

• 3 weeks later...