Getting ready to buy my first lathe

jmaichel

Like the post says I am a mouse click away from buying my first lathe. I am going to go with the Grizzly G0624 and add the bed extension. I also plan on getting the the Benjamin's best HSS lathe chisel set. I know pretty much zero about lathes, do I need to order a chuck with this lathe or does it come with one. Thanks!

I have hear not good reviews on the Grizzly and Penn State lathes, both to lightweight and can have vibration if turning larger blanks.

I have a Craftsman 12" x 16" Lathe (21752) is works great, never a problem with it. A Craigslist Jet in bad shape (bearings and motor) used only for finishing, but would be great if new.

I'm Mentoring a new club member He has the Rockler Excelsior Mini Lathe, very good and great price. 

And stay a way from the Craft Supplies Apprentice 812 Mini Lathe, I had to Demo on it for 3 days hated it, also low power.

Any Penn State lathe in particular?

I would definitely go with the vs. VS on any lathe for that matter switching belts is a pain. All the midi's are very close as to their abilities and  overall use. You have swing over bed this is for bowls and the like then you have swing over rest for between spindles. Pen state has a large variety of accessories for a reasonable price. I bought the turn crafter vs for my grandson and its been used and abused. We put the bed extension on it to make baseball bats. Its a fine little lathe until he decides he decides he wants a oneway or vega.

I've got a Master, which I purchased from Rockler as their house brand.  I believe they switched to Excelsior shortly after, but the quality of the lathe is still good.  I've only once stalled it out, but that was due to experimentation more than the lathe.  Mine did not come with a chuck, but it will take one of the manufactured variety out there.  Keep your eyes open for good deals, as they come up frequently.  (I missed one by two days.  Sometimes, I really don't like getting paid on Fridays...)

Keep in mind, some of the chucks and faceplates don't play well with other manufacturers' accessories, so do your research before you buy the first part.

As for tools, in theory it doesn't matter, because you'll just grind away all the bad steel with the good when you resharpen.  However, I haven't hit that level of production, so I can't attest to that fact.  I can say I got very lucky with my Harbor Freight purchase, but I do plan on upgrading specific gouges and skews when the budget recovers from my upcoming car repairs.

*** Edit:  I should mention that mine did come with a basic Morse Taper collar, with screw holes for the faceplate or shop made faceplate of my choice.  However, I quickly disabused (or was that just abused?) myself of doing that well with my first slip of the gouge.  I have also upgraded the tail stock, but find myself needing to upgrade the centers for the head before tackling anything other than pens... (I know I packed them somewhere... now it's just a matter of finding them.)

James,

I know I'll probably catch heat for mentioning this but......there's a lathe at harbor freight with similar specs (probably the same Lathe with different sheet metal). It actually has really good reviews, some of which are from experienced turners. It may be a good starter lathe for you to try before u spend real money on a better one. With the 20% coupon, u could get it for $160. I've toyed with the idea of getting into turning, but don't know if I'll like it so I thought of this lathe as a viable starting point. Be sure to read the reviews. It may be one of the harbor freight hidden gems. I don't normally condone HF tools, but every once in a while they slip a decent one past the goalie.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html

I got my 700lb powermatic lathe for $750 on craigslist everything is rock solid. So if you keep your eye open there are great deals on used lathe.

Tools-

Alot of people say dont buy in sets because you inevitably will get a tool you never use... In my opinion when starting turning it doesnt apply because you probably have no clue where your turning will lead you weather bowls or tops or whatever.

My first tools were rusted garage sale carbon steel tools and i got alot farther eith those than you would expect. Then i got a cheap set of hss tools from grizzly i think and those aswell lasted me very long, still use all of them.

My turning went from just small spindles like pens and what not to bowls, miniatures, eccentric turning etc so all of my tools get used.

I also make many tools, mostly scrapers and hollowingtools.

I would start by trying to figure out what you want to turn.  

I have this 12 x 36 lathe from Harbor Freight, which is fantastic.  I have been promising and considering a comprehensive review on the product, but I keep getting too busy with other stuff....some day.

But for now, I will say this is one of the few "hidden gems" that you can get from HF.  Biggest complaint I would make, and you'll find all over the web is that it is lite.  Don't buy a lathe for weight!  Cement bags are 50 lbs each, about $3, and a hell of a lot easier to carry individually than one massive tool.  It's a benefit, not really a complaint.  Please, please, don't buy a lathe that requires manual belt changes, you will regret it.  It's not difficult, but changing speeds happens a lot.  

Watch Jet and Grizzly, many of their products are rumored to be build by the same manufacturing facility as the Central Machinery (HF brand).  I don't have facts to support this, just internet rumor, so do with it what you will.  I can vouch for the HF.  My primary revenue source for my small business is from high end pens.  I have made well over 100 at this point.  I have no idea what the actual number is, but it been too many to count.  I have also done lots of bowls, mostly in the 6-8" range, but my largest was 11.5".  It just barely cleared the bed.  It turned just fine.  The largest bowl did push the motor to its limits.  The lathe supports out turning on bigger blanks, but I am not sure the motor could take it.  I haven't tried, but I wouldn't expect it to do well.  

Good Luck!  

It's too bad that Powermatic 45 is too big for your shop because it's the lathe you want whether you know it yet or not.  :D

I will echo the comment to go with variable speed. My vintage King Seeley is a 5 speed but I converted to variable speed and it's so much nicer to use. Grizzly has a variable speed benchtop but if you want what many people consider the very best midi, look at the Delta 46-460. I know quite a few turners who own one and they all love it. My local Woodcraft uses one for demonstrations even though they sell Jet/Powermatic.

Interesting thread!  I will definitely be following it.  I have never turned, but the wife recently asked me about making something that had turned legs.  When I replied I didn't have a lathe, she looked at me funny and asked when I'd be getting one.

i can say for sure the the delta 46-460 is a great machine. its pricer then grizzly but its a good workhorse.  i got it and the extension which is 42" long.  i mounted it to an old dresser and put sandbags in the bottomdrawers and use the drawers for storage. for my tools,chucks,ect... my midi has the strength of a full size lathe at 1 hp but it lacks in size it makes up in being compact. 

that lathe looks  good for small stuff like pens but if you get serous then you will want to turn bowls and other larger shapes.  that grizzly lathe only has a 1/2 hp motor so you will have to precut everything you turn and it wont have much strength for any odd shaped blocks of wood. plus im not shure if a 1/2 will give you the motor strength you need for a extension. it also only has 10" swing so that the largest thing you can make is 10"

my advice is to look around and find someone with a lathe eather a private person or a turning club and see if they will let you try it to find out if you like it.  the best description that i have is that you go from taking raw wood and chucking it up and make a completed project fully sanding and finished in a matter of hours.  it takes very little math or even complicated cuts and after i started turning i was hooked too the point that couple grand later i am able to make anything that i want to make. 

• 2 weeks later...

Considering you are not exactly sure what you want to turn except for the guild project, I would recommend you stop by a local turning club meeting and see some demonstrations, maybe take a class or two.  You planning on sinking an intial $500 to $1000 on this hobby so you might want to find out if its something you even like.  My first lathe was a Delta 715 which was a great starter for the $700, and it will handle pens, bowls and table legs.  I'm much happier with my Jet 1642 EVS for about $1800.  Much heftier and better quality. 

• 2 weeks later...

i know i thought i would like turning till i tried on a buddies then i didn't like it

I have a habit of comparing turning to riding motorcycles. Today is no different.

When i first started riding dirtbikes i hated it, thought it was stupid and frustrating.. That was only because i didnt have the skills to lean back and enjoy it yet, my dad got me to keep with it until i was able to ride without thinking too much about it and without falling every 50 ft. It then became one of the best things in my life.

Same thing with turning i didnt take to it immediately but soon grew to love it.