Turning and dirtbiking???

Miles11we

I just remembered my old dirtbiking days when i would get into "the zone" and fall away from my consciousness and just ride. I would ride faster, better and safer when i didnt think about it and just did.

I find found myself a while back doing this with turning, mostly green turning where im not trying to make any specific thing. Often resulting in (in my opinion) much better pieces and more satisfying to me. I enjoy the process more and find it extremely relaxing.

Do you guys find yourselves doing this too?

• Like 1

too late...............but ya I know exactly what your talking about several times ill really get into a pieces and I look up 4 hours have gone by.  I think its frankly very therapeutic.  want to get it set up in my classroom I think that kids would be able to really connect with it and learn to relax since its more like working with clay then carving or construction.  considering you don't have to measure much, it does not have to be perfect, and you only need one machine its a no hassle craft...........unless you get hit in the face with a spinning block of wood. 

• Like 1

You joke about getting hit by a spinning block of wood but i feel like i have a much better feel for how fast the wood wants to spinn and how it should be cut and in turn turn more safely when in the zone.

But one of the best things about turning is so muh of the time it can be so free form and not have to be anything, no need for making sure everything fits and goes together like a piece of furniture. Make a mistake and its not ruined its just going to be smaller than you originally intended. I find it to be one of the most "organic" (i guess you could say??) forms of woodworking.

• Like 1

All woodworking does this for me. IT is the reason I do it. If I didn't get that "high" of being lost in the moment/zone, I wouldn't do it. I find that place very quickly when turning, but really, whenever my hands are creating what my mind sees, I can find that zone.

I actually go to the same space when I am painting and, when I'm really lucky, practicing architecture.

3-4 hours later, hopefully, I've created something beautiful and I feel much more balanced.

All woodworking does this for me. IT is the reason I do it. If I didn't get that "high" of being lost in the moment/zone, I wouldn't do it. I find that place very quickly when turning, but really, whenever my hands are creating what my mind sees, I can find that zone.

I actually go to the same space when I am painting and, when I'm really lucky, practicing architecture.

3-4 hours later, hopefully, I've created something beautiful and I feel much more balanced.

Well i wouldnt say i CANT get into in other forms of woodworking, i just find it easier and more common to experience while turning.

I just remembered my old dirtbiking days when i would get into "the zone" and fall away from my consciousness and just ride. I would ride faster, better and safer when i didnt think about it and just did.

I find found myself a while back doing this with turning, mostly green turning where im not trying to make any specific thing. Often resulting in (in my opinion) much better pieces and more satisfying to me. I enjoy the process more and find it extremely relaxing.

Do you guys find yourselves doing this too?

+1 On less thinking, when it feels right it is right.