Butcher Block Style Kitchen Pedestal Table

lildesertwoodshop

Hi gang, so this was a basic piece but came out nice so I thought I would post it. 

Some folk came to me looking for a pedestal table for an existing built in bench system. The issue they were having is a normal table legs made it hard to slide in around on the benches, and as well finding a 31” high pedestal table was a problem , as most they saw were Bar height with Bar stools. So the table top is red oak with general finishes White Mist , finished with General Finnish Arm R Seal Satin. This was the first time I used the Arm R seal as per some posts I had read on the site and have to say I was very impressed with it as a sealer that I will again use as a go to sealer for heavy usage scenarios. It was super easy to use ( I foam brushed and Cloth Rag wiped it ) and came out looking really nice. The metal pedestal I finished with Rust-oleum Hammered as this is a time saver in that its textured finish saves tons of prep time on the metal, just prime and shoot it and it covers everything. Some end caps on the legs and a set of screw levelers and there ya have it.

BBTable_zps7dcca2e4.jpg

BBTable2_zps9f589ce1.jpg

BBTable1_zps22b058ac.jpg

Ctable1_zpse9e0d92e.jpg

Ctable2_zps501422cb.jpg

Ctable3_zps7fe1cb33.jpg

LDWS,

Looks great I like the way the top looks to have two separate pieces.

I do have a question about the feet are they the same length? It looks like the feet that are running parallel to the long bench are longer than the ones running perpendicular? Is this a camera angle thing or is it that way in real life? If it is real what is the purpose of having them different lengths?

LDWS,

Looks great I like the way the top looks to have two separate pieces.

I do have a question about the feet are they the same length? It looks like the feet that are running parallel to the long bench are longer than the ones running perpendicular? Is this a camera angle thing or is it that way in real life? If it is real what is the purpose of having them different lengths?

Don't want to speak for the OP, but I would bet it's a stability thing.  Think about the shape of the table top - the "long way" needs to have longer feet to compensate for the extra length, otherwise it would be possible to tip the table in that direction.  If you take it to the extreme and imagine that the feet going the "long way" were only 1" long, then the table would tip the second you put something heavy on one end.  

So The legs,  bgreenb yup that was my thoughts as well, Stability. The Apron is attached to the table top Two ways, under the table top is a 1" angle Iron frame screwed to the table top, the apron is screwed to that angle as well as glued to the table top. There are two runs of the 1" angle that run across the frame in the center of the table that are 6" apart. There is a 6" steel plate with 4 holes welded to these , the pedestal as well has a matching plate the two are bolted together to join the pedestal and table top. Sorry no other pics of that. 

Don't want to speak for the OP, but I would bet it's a stability thing.  Think about the shape of the table top - the "long way" needs to have longer feet to compensate for the extra length, otherwise it would be possible to tip the table in that direction.  If you take it to the extreme and imagine that the feet going the "long way" were only 1" long, then the table would tip the second you put something heavy on one end.  

So The legs,  bgreenb yup that was my thoughts as well, Stability. The Apron is attached to the table top Two ways, under the table top is a 1" angle Iron frame screwed to the table top, the apron is screwed to that angle as well as glued to the table top. There are two runs of the 1" angle that run across the frame in the center of the table that are 6" apart. There is a 6" steel plate with 4 holes welded to these , the pedestal as well has a matching plate the two are bolted together to join the pedestal and table top. Sorry no other pics of that. 

OOOHHHH sure when you explain it with logic it makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation.

Like I said before looks great.

Yea thanx for the encouragement all its greatly appreciated ! So as said I wasn't really thinking about posting anything on the project , hence the lack of photos with the build , however as simple as it was , I was really happy with the end result and mostly on account of the nice folk who ordered it and were so pleased with it when it arrived. It gave me another transfusion of the best part of being able to build these projects for people,    the look on their faces when its sitting in their home.  

• Like 1