sick of using sandpaper

duckkisser

im sick of using sandpaper seems like as fast as I start using it it wears out.   I know there is all kinds of sandpaper but even the good stuff seems to wear away way too fast.  why isent there a file type random orbital sander?  maybe instead of using sand paper its more like a file but it attaches to a sander.  something like the arbor tech but way less aggressive. or a burr grinding wheel but designed for finer grits and smoother surfaces. I know they make diamond sanding discs for stone so can those be used for wood?  what do you guys think is it something I can buy so I don't have to go through so much sandpaper.

im looking for finish sanding rather then stock removal. right now im sanding down some bandsaw boxes and the curves are killing me I have to spend a long time sanding them down rather then just putting them through planer or sander to remove my saw marks.

The Ridgid osselating belt/ spindler sander might do a great job for you on work like Bandsaw boxes. The biggest trick to sanding is to go through the grits. Coarser sandpaper takes out the saw marks, finer grits to remove the coarse sandpaper scratches. Cheap sandpaper is rarely a bargin. Klingspor and 3m work well for me. Also keep your sandpaper clean when power sanding. I use a crepe rubber block.

I really wish I was able to go from #4 smoothing plane to finishing! I feel like no matter what I do, when I am done with my #4, it looks like I just used a scrub plane LOL. A little exaggeration, but you get the point LOL

I tried using a card scraper. By time I am done with one section, it needs sharpened AGAIN, and my thumbs are killing me!

==> why isent there a file type random orbital sander?

think it's called a #4 smoothing plane...

yes that would be perfect if all projects were flat but when im doing carving and turnings  its hard to use a plane on a curved surface. right now im sanding a bandsaw box and I have used up a number of sanding drums to make 4 boxes.

I really wish I was able to go from #4 smoothing plane to finishing! I feel like no matter what I do, when I am done with my #4, it looks like I just used a scrub plane LOL. A little exaggeration, but you get the point LOL

I tried using a card scraper. By time I am done with one section, it needs sharpened AGAIN, and my thumbs are killing me!

Forum fail. Have you tried to cambor the edges to prevent the "plane tracks", I watched a video by "The Schwarz" and he mentioned doing so. This may reduce your scrub plane effect. Does festool make paper for drums? I have found the festool papers to last longer but I also attributed that to using the rotex sander. I have done the sanding method as well as a card scraper to remove a finish on a curved piece, I found I liked the scraper more. I also have decided to invest in several scrapers so when one becomes a little to warm I turn to another. The material being used can also play a role. Good luck and happy finishing!