Fine Woodworking - November December issue

Just finished re-reading this latest issue and is really fantastic. Both magazines Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking are really coming up with great articles.

My favorite articles:

. Make a Limbert-Style Coffee Table. Fantastic article. I never really looked at brittle joints. I am in the process of building a coffee table and I am going with a Nakashima style, but I will have to find a way of using this joinery. I also loved the way of designing the elipse.

. Get a Handle on Your Pulls, this is something we get for granted and never really thought about this. The handles were never such a huge part of the decision and Matt did a great job.

Two great articles on hand tools.

Really fantastic.

For sure worth buying. Great investment.

You're right, the article has some good information. I just wish the end result looked better. :(

To me, the real beauty is on the back cover!

I assume you are referring to the “Make a Limbert-Style Coffee Table” article by Gregory Paolini. I can see that Arts & Crafts furniture aren’t to everyone’s liking, especially the heavier, utilitarian look of mission style, which seems to be where this Limbert-Style falls. Or, were you referring to the quality of the execution of the Limbert-Style coffee table, that is, the end result?

By the way, here’s a link to a video of David Haig making the rocking chair on the “Back Cover” of FW Magazine. His rocking chair design seems to be reflected in his logo (or visa-versa).

I assume you are referring to the “Make a Limbert-Style Coffee Table” article by Gregory Paolini. I can see that Arts & Crafts furniture aren’t to everyone’s liking, especially the heavier, utilitarian look of mission style, which seems to be where this Limbert-Style falls. Or, were you referring to the quality of the execution of the Limbert-Style coffee table, that is, the end result?

By the way, here’s a link to a video of David Haig making the rocking chair on the “Back Cover” of FW Magazine. His rocking chair design seems to be reflected in his logo (or visa-versa).

Great video. Watching it made me realize how addicted I am to power tools. The hand work is remarkable.

Yea, I was referring to the design of the Limbert-Style coffee table. It's a little too chunky, squat and, well...ugly to my eye. I've also been oaked-out since the seventies. As far as I can tell, the execution is excellent. I always hate to see so much time and skill go into something that has questionable appeal.

I know. There are plenty of woodworkers out there who love this look. I'm not being critical of their taste, I'm simply expressing mine. There are probably people out there who wonder how I could possibly like David Haig's rocker that looks like a Chernobyl swan.

But, that's my story and i'm sticking to it. :)

And while I'm on my soap box, why can't FWW have a build project for something other than Mission Style. Geez, enough already.

Maybe its because it doesn't take much skill beyond M&T construction to build Mission Style so it appeals to a majority of their readers. Whatever sells magazines I guess. I'm just glad they have one or two pages dedicated to stretching woodworkers beyond where they currently are.

This reminds me of the time I met a woodworker who really excelled in out-of-the-box, near genius furniture design. He said he has to build kitchen cabinets to support his artistic habit. Same principle, I guess. Still, you'd think a magazine named "Fine Woodworking"...

The artical by our own Gregory Paolini may not be right up my alley but I think it does a great job to get newer people in the craft to take a look at the many types of jointery. I haven't gotten my new issue of PW but I am pleased with the latest from FWW. I look forward to the new hand tool section as well, the maden voyage of it was pretty basic so hopefully they kick it up a notch.

Nate

Great video. Watching it made me realize how addicted I am to power tools. The hand work is remarkable.

Yea, I was referring to the design of the Limbert-Style coffee table. It's a little too chunky, squat and, well...ugly to my eye. I've also been oaked-out since the seventies. As far as I can tell, the execution is excellent. I always hate to see so much time and skill go into something that has questionable appeal.

I know. There are plenty of woodworkers out there who love this look. I'm not being critical of their taste, I'm simply expressing mine. There are probably people out there who wonder how I could possibly like David Haig's rocker that looks like a Chernobyl swan.

But, that's my story and i'm sticking to it. :)

While I appreciate Mission style furniture, I’m more drawn to the Greene & Greene look, but like most things, too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing. The David Haig rocker to me, tends to a more ethereal look. I am curious though what you think of this bench made of Ebony and Bubinga. It’s definitely not light and airy looking, but I think for a bench it comes out about right.

While I appreciate Mission style furniture, I’m more drawn to the Greene & Greene look, but like most things, too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing. The David Haig rocker to me, tends to a more ethereal look. I am curious though what you think of this bench made of Ebony and Bubinga. It’s definitely not light and airy looking, but I think for a bench it comes out about right.

That's a beautiful piece (The Bench). That's what I'm missing about Woodwork magazine. Original pieces. I don't mind if a piece is inspired by a particular genre, but I really like to see new designs.

A very intriguing piece. A lot going on here. I especially like how the plugs are set in diamond pattern. I like compositions limited to no more than three woods (although this one has more), each with a specific role in the composition. This is inspiring with a lot of techniques and joinery.

I'd give it a definite thumbs up!

btw, I too am drawn more to G&G. However, I'll always give kudos to those who break out of the box. B)

Sorry for not replying before I worked all day planing some cypress for three gates that I am building.

I enjoyed the execution of the Coffee Table. A lot of times, I enjoy reading how things are done, this table is a bit big for my home. Gregory made an excellent job explaining the steps and showing a joint that I did not see before.

These articles stay in my head for when I want to "come up" with something different.

I love Greene and Greene, and think that these two brothers, along with the Hall brothers took the craftsmanship and design to a whole new level.

Greene and Greene is the only school that motivated me to buy something close to ten books to learn the language ... Mission or Stickley stile has not done that much for me.

Again, I enjoyed the joinery that Gregory put out with his ... mad skills!