Band Saw Blade Recommendations

Chris H

I have never cut my own Veneer, but would like to for the upcoming guild build humidor.

I have a 14" Grizzly with riser block, so I need a 105" blade.  I already have some Walnut Crotch/burl that I want to re-saw into veneer for the project.  

Can anyone recommend a good blade they have some experience cutting veneer with?

TIA

Chris

Just grab a 1/2" woodslicer. Resaw king carbides are great but to get the most out of them you should have a lot more saw. Another thing is to check your local yellow pages. I have to buy most of my blades locally and the shop makes them up in a couple hours and they perform as well as the woodslicer.

• Like 2

Practice and careful set up will get you better results than expensive blades. Carefully adjusted cool blocks or Carter Roller bearing guides made the biggest difference for me. I sand 2 faces of a block on my drum sander then cut 2 veneers and re sand the block before I cut 2 more veneers. That way you have a nice flat face to the fence and a flat face to reference off of for flattening the back of the veneer.

• Like 2

==> Practice and careful set up will get you better results than expensive blades.

+ 1

Setup is the most important factor to getting top-shelf resawing results, a sharp blade is #2, technique is #3 and fancy blade is last...  An expensive blade can't make-up for poor setup...  The saw itself is also very important, but there's not much you can do about that....  You've got to work with what you've got...

David Marks has a good video on resawing... He spends about 60 minutes going through bandsaw setup for resawing -- worth a look...

I keep a Timber Wolf 1/2" 6tpi dedicated to resaw only...  Costs about $30... but it only gets used during a veneer resaw...  When the blade even starts to go dull, it's relegated to regular rip-sawing...  I've also got a Resaw King that costs 10x the Timber Wolf... Does the King leave a better surface than the Wolf? Yes... without question...  Is the surface 10x better? No...  Since I pass veneer slices through the sander after slicing, it really doesn't matter if the surface is perfect... What matters: tracking is spot-on, consistent feed-rate, correct blade tension and guides properly aligned...  It's those factors that will get you a consistent 1/8" veneer slice that will be sanded back to 3/32" and ready for taping...

• Like 1

If your using the blade that came with your grizzly riser bloke kit throw that thing away. I bought the 14" grizzly ultimate bandsaw I put the riser kit on and thought this saw sucks, I bought an Olson 3tpi deep gullet 1/2" blade I couldn't believe the difference now I love my saw and I've bought the Wood Slicer I haven't put it on yet as the Olson is still cutting great I resaw with it all the time I've milled logs about 8" in diameter with a special sled I built that sits in the miter slot, with longer logs I use a flip top stand to catch the end of the sled that carries the log once I get two faces 90% I just use the fence to slice individual boards. If the Wood Slicer is even better I can hardly wait for the Olson to wear out I've had the Olson on for 3+ yrs it doesn't seem dull to me.

Make sure the riser block didn't throw off your upper/lower wheel alignment.  When I installed the riser block on my Powermatic 14" it took hours to do the alignment.

Good Advice, but I installed the riser block with the initial purchase, so I did all my setup afterword.

If your using the blade that came with your grizzly riser bloke kit throw that thing away. I bought the 14" grizzly ultimate bandsaw I put the riser kit on and thought this saw sucks, I bought an Olson 3tpi deep gullet 1/2" blade I couldn't believe the difference now I love my saw and I've bought the Wood Slicer I haven't put it on yet as the Olson is still cutting great I resaw with it all the time I've milled logs about 8" in diameter with a special sled I built that sits in the miter slot, with longer logs I use a flip top stand to catch the end of the sled that carries the log once I get two faces 90% I just use the fence to slice individual boards. If the Wood Slicer is even better I can hardly wait for the Olson to wear out I've had the Olson on for 3+ yrs it doesn't seem dull to me.

I have been using the 3/8" blade that came with the riser kit.  I has been really good, but I upgraded from a Ryobi, so anything is amazing relatively speaking.