So, I'm building a real bench!

Llama

I like to sit for certain things, like fitting veneer or stringing, but for fitting and joinery, I like to stand, adding a mini-bench to raise the work.

I always find it interesting how 8 different folks can have 8 different preferred positions...   In group classes, I can look across the room and see the varying methods side by side, and it all works!

You're right Barry. The best is to obviously try more than one method, and pick what works for you. When I was practicing my dovetailing, I did it standing. In the middle of my teak cabinet build, I realized my drum stool was in the basement so I went and got it. I adjusted the height to where I felt comfortable, and the results were fantastic! It is now a preferred method of mine.

if I really need to sit the end of the bench will offer ample leg room. :)

But that's not where your dogs are. :)

Yeah for sawing and planing it's a no-brainer...you're standing whether you like it or not.  But when I have a hundred mortises to square up or a hundred tenons to round over or whatever...my ass is in a seat.  I'm getting old and my knees can't take the all day thing no mo.  And my back don't like the bendin' over either.

• Like 1

I received the plans from Bench Crafted for the Shaker Workbench today. They are the best set of plans I've ever seen for woodworking. They rival some of the plans I've seen as a machine builder. The detail is great! The plans are laid out so the steps are clearly labeled.

Highly recommended if you are building a similar bench.

• Like 2

@Mel,

Would you mind posting some of your thoughts as you go through your design change phase?

I am interested to hear your thought process as you go through single slab or split top... and your wood choices.

I am huge fan of looking at hard maple but a much bigger fan of working with soft maple. 

@Mel,

Would you mind posting some of your thoughts as you go through your design change phase?

I am interested to hear your thought process as you go through single slab or split top... and your wood choices.

I am huge fan of looking at hard maple but a much bigger fan of working with soft maple. 

The wood I choose will have mostly due to availability. I will either chose hard or soft maple for the top. I know I want something with good figure for the front piece of the top. I don't think I'll do anything with contrasting woods on the top, because the base is painted. I would have done something if it wasn't.

Regarding plan changes- The more I look at the Bench Crafted plans, the more I realize how well thought out they are. I don't think I can do much better. :) I think a split top would be great, but really not necessary. To be honest, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. The top (as in the plans) will be two pieces face side up and glued on edge, with other pieces making up the front piece and the dog holes. This will make for a relatively simple assembly as well.

I planned on having the legs on the same plane as the top, but this also seems redundant. Having the sliding deadman brings the work in the same plane, and I really like the look of the Shaker bench without the chunky legs.

I know I'll paint the base. I am between a few different colors right now. Perhaps, blue, red or green. Not sure yet.

I'll make a build thread for this once I get the materials. I will be following the plan fairly closely. This includes a plywood base cabinet. Yep, I'll be using plywood. I emailed Jameel about it... And he stated that if it was his bench, he would use the materials as stated in the plans. And Ron Brese, whos bench was the inspiration for the Bench Crafted plans, used the same construction. He did use solid pine instead of plywood for the back panel, and I'll be doing the same. Just ply for the main base construction. It will certainly be a first for me.

• Like 1

A split-top on the Shaker bench wouldn't make much sense because of the cabinets below.  You could still use the gap-stop for planing and to hold your chisels and stuff...but the clamping aspect is moot if you can't get access below the top...and for me personally the additional clamping abilities are the most beneficial part of the split-top.

I see nothing wrong with using ply for the cabinet.  That's what I'd use.  High-quality ply.

The BC Shaker bench is awesome looking.  Not exactly my style but totally awesome.  Gonna be a cool build, Mel.

• Like 2