So, I'm building a real bench!

Llama

I've made the plunge and purchased the BenchCrafted leg and tail vises!!! I'm super psyched! WooHoo!!!! :)

I'll be building a Shaker style bench. I plan on doing something neat, so stay tuned!

I put this in the hand tool area because that's what I'll be using. Well, for the most part. I'll be using my bandsaw and /or tablesaw. Maybe my thickness planer too. But all joinery will be by hand. I'm planning on using the square dogs. I am warming up to the idea of having them there at all times. And they won't damage my handplanes! :)

All joinery also means the ship lapped boards, the doors, drawers everything.

This will without a doubt be my largest build. I can't wait to get started!! I'll get my wood as soon as possible. I decided to buy the vises first to give me some focus :) now I can't turn back!

Now, what to do with my like new twin-screw Veritas?

• Like 1

Oh I will! It will probably start slowly, but come together quickly.

The BC design calls for a 2" thick top, which I can get out of maybe two pieces in order to get the width I need. This will significantly reduce my dependence on power tools, and save me some time as well. I'm not sure how closely I'll follow the BC plans, but it'll be a Shaker bench alright :) I'm still super psyched!! I've been drawing a day. Just rough drawings to get the drawer layout how I want it. In a perfect world I would find 10' material, but I'd settle for 8'.

You will never regret it!! I built my Roubo last year and other than building my shop it has been the single biggest improvement I have made. I bought Schwarz 2nd workbench book and because of it I altered my design a tad, something you may want to consider if you haven't already. What species of wood are you going to use? I had some hard maple I had cut and dried several years ago that I used for the top and beautiful reclaimed old pine for the base. It is fun to build but even more fun to use, you will have a blast!!

I have both of C.S's books. They are great! I almost built a Roubo. And to be honest, my bench will incorporate some of the Roubo elements. The theme I have in my mind is "what if the Shakers built a Roubo?" :)

Definitely Shaker, but some Roubo on the side! (or the top? front?) I can't give everything away! There will be a twist, or a split? hmmm....

I am leaning towards hard maple, perhaps soft... It really depends on what I can get at the length I want. The bottom can be anything... It's getting painted anyway! 

I like all of them. For different reasons though.

The first one is just plain awesome!

The second one because it has the legs on the same plane as the top. 

I actually don't care for the third one.

The last one is probably the closest to the one I'll build. I like that the base is a true cabinet, not legs filled in with a cabinet. Perhaps the sliding deadman can be used in the same way the Roubo takes advantage of the leg.

I am really thinking about a split top. I know I won't be able to get a clamp in there, but to use it as a planing stop is just brilliant. Depending on how I design the top drawers, I may or may not be able to use holdfasts. And eventhough I'll have plenty of room for my tools, having my chisels and a saw or two at hand is hard to resist. I've been thinking about having a Moxon on the back of the bench as well. 

You won't be sorry at all...

A good bench is what makes all the other hand tools work. 

Personally, I prefer benches without cabinets underneath, as I always seem to need something from a drawer or door that is impeded...  My original bench had drawers, which is great now that the original bench is BEHIND ME, under a hanging tool cabinet, and used more as a table and chest of drawers.

If you've got the space, think about drawers and cabinets behind you, holding the tools you most often use at the bench.  This not only allows efficient, unimpeded access to all commonly used bench tools, but you can put things like planes back in the till when not in use, eliminating separate cleanup time.  You turn around and pick it up, turn around and put it down...  No bench clutter, no wasted steps, no mess, no tool damage.

I thought long and hard before deciding on the Shaker style bench. I am sure they'll be times when I need to take something out of the vise to open a drawer, or perhaps move the deadman to get to a plane I need to use. But all in all, I am confident that I'll be happier than sad in my choice. I am the type of person that over plans the simplest details. I will agonize over what goes in which drawer, and then I'll move it again. It's just how I am. :) I'll rearrange everything again when I get a new plane. Again, it's my curse. Having things close by is also a necessity. If it wasn't in my bench, it would be on my bench. Here's proof of the last statement. :) And for the record, I absolutely hate this arrangement. For one, the cheap red toolbox needs a new home. Actually the only thing I like is the handtool cabinet I made. It keeps things close by. But, it does take up valuable space. Well, I do like the Veritas vise. I'll find a home for that somehow. Not sure how it will fit into my future plans. 

1002352_10201775378214349_1715324143_n.j

Money for me is tighter than the gaps in Paul Sellers dovetails. I have been living without a vise for awhile, and I have some pretty decent work arounds. Albeit, not the most efficient.

Thanks for the offer, though :)

It's not going anywhere soon. I'll probably keep it where it is for awhile. I'd rather not ship it. Maybe craigslist, but I don't care for being hassled to death. :)

It's not going anywhere soon. I'll probably keep it where it is for awhile. I'd rather not ship it. Maybe craigslist, but I don't care for being hassled to death. :)

Yeah, put it up on CL and it will be like going into the Pawn Stars shop. You first asking price is $200. Their first counter offer is $10.

Yeah, put it up on CL and it will be like going into the Pawn Stars shop. You first asking price is $200. Their first counter offer is $10.

The worst part is people assume because someone is selling something nice, then they must be broke, or just lost a job. You would never guess how many people assumed I lost a job when I sold a nice bass, or a Snap-On toolbox.

696f134a75b7a726c21bcc3583991852.jpg

This bench ^^^ is Bad. Ass.

But I have to agree with Barry about the cabinets...nope, not for me.  But for a different reason: because I like to sit on a stool when I do tedious detail work, especially with chisels, and the cabinets would get in the way of my knees.  When I sit at my bench I just pop a few dogs out so they don't dig into my legs, and rest my feet on the shelf.

Man, it pisses me off that now BC casts their logo into the wheels instead of just giving you those cheesy little stickers. <_<

Yes it is! That's the one that made me want to build a Shaker bench.

I'm not a sitter, so that's not an issue :) 

I actually like the logo cast into the wheel. Or, do you not like it because you have the other style?

I'm sure they'll have something more awesome in a couple of years. 

Yes it is! That's the one that made me want to build a Shaker bench.

I'm not a sitter, so that's not an issue :)

I actually like the logo cast into the wheel. Or, do you not like it because you have the other style?

I'm sure they'll have something more awesome in a couple of years. 

Yeah I'd much rather have the logo cast in the wheel.  Way cooler.  Oh well, that's life.

Exactly Freddie.  I think I posted this quote on another thread recently but it's worth repeating:

Why stand when you can sit? -Winston Churchill

I'm a convenience enthusiast. :D