Walnut Hall Table

lildesertwoodshop

Yep Eric, I wasn't Keen on using them, however the client insisted on having an adjustable element on account the whole house flooring is Flagstone and super uneven. In the end I did paint them Black that helped to hide them. So I would love to know better scenarios in this instance, if anyone has dealt with this issue?

MDF does have a few appropriate uses, this is one of them. Did you veneer the underside with something of a similar thickness for balanced construction? If you look closely at plywood there is always an odd number of sheets, that balances the sheet and helps prevent cupping.

Beautiful table!

Hey Steve , yea I have learned the hard way of not balancing, Veneering on one side with out doing the same on the other. In this instance The opening top to access the storage compartment was an after thought / add on and already had used a piece of non matching visually sapele (with some walnut stain Just cuz I had some ) to do the balance of the underside of the top thinking it would not be seen. In Retrospect , and if I had planned from the start of the opening top I would have used matching Visually Veneer on the underside / table top underside. As a rule I normally just roll in the cost of using the same veneer / glue into the vacuum press per piece un like some that just use a more cost effective veneer like poplar or white oak, and have had good results doing that. 

Yep Eric, I wasn't Keen on using them, however the client insisted on having an adjustable element on account the whole house flooring is Flagstone and super uneven. In the end I did paint them Black that helped to hide them. So I would love to know better scenarios in this instance, if anyone has dealt with this issue?

If it was in my house I'd just use those little felt pads to shim the high leg(s).

If it was in my house I'd just use those little felt pads to shim the high leg(s).

I did this on a desk I made my mom about 4 years ago. Very simple build, plywood top wrapped in moulding, 4 turned legs from lowes, and distressed painted to match her bedroom furniture. It had a rock to it so I put felt pads on each leg, and one leg needed one extra felt pad. That solved the rocking issue. I actually still havent gotten around to building to the two drawer boxes and fronts yet. I was waiting until I learned how to cut dovetails. Now that I can, I have no time, go figure!