Scraps & Holiday Gifts

lildesertwoodshop

Sooo as the Holiday season is approaching fast, I assume many other Wood Workers  build gifts for those on the list to receive.  In the past I have done Cutting boards , boxes , serving trays and such that always are received well to those of whom have been gifted as I will do again this holiday season. So rummaging around my scrap bin today waiting for glue to dry , I seemed to find a lot of strips of material that I think most folk would have as well. It came to me that this was the perfect stock to make some nice picture frames. Easy to make and with an insider to help with the appropriate picture for  the frame for the receiver makes a nice holiday gift. I put this together today and think I will do a few more as I already have the material waiting to be used.

Pframe_zpsfd08c3c9.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ipad holders. Anyone who owns an ipad needs one of these! The perfect scrap / cutoff gift. I have been working on the design for several months and it has paid off. I use my ipad way more since i made one. I also made an ipad out of wood to bring with me to the market to display them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yhugu3e2.jpgure5usu9.jpg

Ipad holders. Anyone who owns an ipad needs one of these! The perfect scrap / cutoff gift. I have been working on the design for several months and it has paid off. I use my ipad way more since i made one. I also made an ipad out of wood to bring with me to the market to display them.

Surprising how useful something so simple can be. That is awesome!

yhugu3e2.jpgure5usu9.jpg

If you don't mind what angle are those cut at?

I make two passes with a 1/4" dado. First one is at 15 degrees. Second pass is at 20 degrees. It allows some room to adjust the viewing angle to reduce glare. It took a lot of trial and error to really dial in my master template but once you get the two angles you can figure out the ideal depth and width. I went to the apple site and downloaded the case specs from their developer website to get the exact dimensions of the ipad. The ipad blocks are 6x8 and the ipad mini holders are 4x6. Most of the ones i have made are 2" thick but thats just what i chose.