glue roller question

tonydem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

==> does the glue come off easily from the rubber? I have one and that would be cool to use for double duty. Do you just wash yours off or?

depends on the adhesive... PVA sure... RF*, ahhhh nope...

Read as Resin Formaldehyde (ex. Unibond) 
  • Like 1

I was wondering if the glue starts to set up how it would affect the rubber. Can it get cleaned up still or will the rubber start to deteriorate from abrasion of cleaning. I wouldnt dare use it for anything like that or contact cement. A 3" whizz roller once and in the trash :-)

==> Do you just wash yours off or?

Sorry, I missed that...

I'm not a Hand-Tool Woodworker, Power Tool woodworker or a Hybrid Woodworker.. I'm a Lazy Woodworker...

When done, I just drop it in a bucket and wait to the next glue-up...

==> better glue spread easy to clean

Yea, but they don't last long...

I use them for veneer glue-ups... Then I just toss them... I could probably get five or ten glue-upps, that that's about it..

They last years if you rinse them out. Mine are two years old and look new and get used nearly daily.

Dan, does the glue come off easily from the rubber? I have one and that would be cool to use for double duty. Do you just wash yours off or?

if you let it dry on no, if you do like I do and throw it in a can of water after the glue-up is done then yes.  :D  The main benefit of a J roller is they are cheap, readily available, and very stout.

==>They last years if you rinse them out. Mine are two years old and look new and get used nearly daily.

These are the same rollers Joe sells? What adhesive are you using? I get maybe 5-10 veneer panels done before they are looking pretty ratty... But then again, I'm pretty lazy and may not be as diligent as I should about rinsing...

==>They last years if you rinse them out. Mine are two years old and look new and get used nearly daily.

These are the same rollers Joe sells? What adhesive are you using? I get maybe 5-10 veneer panels done before they are looking pretty ratty... But then again, I'm pretty lazy and may not be as diligent as I should about rinsing...

Yes I'm pretty sure they are I get them at the art supply store. I have a shallow tupperware container I keep little glue in and just throw the roller with a little block of wood to keep the handle out of the glue. At quitting time I put the lid on the container and a couple times a week I rinse out the roller.

This one has been used daily for every day glueing and veneering for just over two years. I don't let it dry out but I don't take special care of it either.

==>  I have a shallow tupperware container I keep little glue in and just throw the roller with a little block of wood to keep the handle out of the glue.

that's a much better then what I do -- throw it into a 5gal bucket under the shop sink...

==>  I don't let it dry out

That may be the key... I pull mine out the next morning and towel it dry... I'll upgrade my procedure...  thanks.