ideas on using a strop

wintersedge

I signed up for Paul Sellers and I am looking to try out his sharpening methods of curving on both chisels and plane blades. That said would it be easier to strop on a thicker piece of leather so there is more give?

What kind of leather or other substrate do you use? What kind of honing paste do use?

These guys have a leather block and the compound Paul uses http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Ultimate-Oil-Stone-Kit-P320C100.aspx, they might sell them seperately to their kits.

I used some A4 paper in isolation that was worked well not perhaps the sweetest way to do it.

I do hand strop but I dont want to suggest that's a good idea for all. By using a very fine stone there is only the smallest edge to remove and does not need multiple strong rubbings on a strop. Larry Willimas has a very good shapening video which shows how I would use a strop http://youtu.be/Z0ClNp_Eknw?t=6m26s

A friend gave me half a stick of Veritas green honing compound. Then someone decided to throw away a leather sofa, from which I removed the cushion covers. I think I embarassed the dog, but who cares. Stuck a piece of that onto some MDF, and I've been using it to freshen up chisels. I've found that I can freshen the edge a couple of times before I have to go back to the stones. Just a few (maybe ten at most) wipes on the back and bevel.

Nice to know it works for others too. I think most carvers use this technique, but it works for we flat surfacers too.

John

• Like 1