BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

Good progress Mel. Everything is blending together well, can't really tell where the plywood is vs. the real wood!  Now just imagine, had you done glued up panels, you would still be preparing them ;-)

Thank you. And that is the main reason I went this way. Even though I have a hard time with saying this, it is "just" a workbench. I think someone said it nicely, they said to save the hard work for the furniture. I'll have plenty of time to make nice furniture, but this needs to get done. :) No need to complicate things. hmm... Sounds like something the Shakers said. Funny how that works out... 

As for the great drawer debate... I am trying to figure out where to put everything. In a perfect world, it would all fit right in the bench. But, that's not gonna happen. I am trying to come up with a really clever way of getting my jointer plane in there, which is 22" long. 

"I say display the tools on a wall hanging cabinet above the bench, its what the hand tool gods would want."

Freddie, I agree with you that tools look awesome out and on display so this may sound dumb, but it also might depend on the security of your shop. For example I have very few windows in my shop, but the ones I do have allow a perfect view of the area above my bench. I like my good stuff in drawers because as much as I'd like to show them off, I also feel a little safer that way. I've taken a number of security measures with my shop, but I still feel safer with my stuff in drawers.

May not be the most critical point, but something to consider.

Chet, to that point... I am very fortunate to have good neighbors. I have a bad habit of leaving my garage door open, and one of them usually shuts the door and turns off my lights. Nice guy.

Security should always a concern though. You never know when the wrong type of person walks by and gets in my shop. I don't think they'd make it out of the garage, but better to keep the "law" out of it. ;)

Youre definitely on the money chet. Im putting windows in the mew doors im building. Old door doesnt have windows so now you can see into shop from front of house. I plan to deal with this by having some sort of blackout shades when im not in the shop. House is alarmed and we have three attack daschounds. Ok , that last one was a joke!

Thank you. And that is the main reason I went this way. Even though I have a hard time with saying this, it is "just" a workbench. I think someone said it nicely, they said to save the hard work for the furniture. I'll have plenty of time to make nice furniture, but this needs to get done. :) No need to complicate things. hmm... Sounds like something the Shakers said. Funny how that works out... 

As for the great drawer debate... I am trying to figure out where to put everything. In a perfect world, it would all fit right in the bench. But, that's not gonna happen. I am trying to come up with a really clever way of getting my jointer plane in there, which is 22" long. 

Hard to tell from the drawing, but if you don't have enough space as is, consider doing graduated drawers with the lowest being the deepest, this may give you enough angle to put the jointer plane on the bottom drawer at an incline? Just a thought. I too would opt for other type of storage, as I believe from the type of woodworking you relish in, you will be bending and opening the drawer an awful lot! Your open shelves seem to serve well at this point, knock together another set for the planes to be close to the bench, if security is an issue, decorate! Get a cool shop sign to cover it when not in use ;-)

Here are some in my shop, they are a thin metal with rolled edges.

IMG_20131217_135614_zps6b672473.jpg