BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

I'm kind of lost. A Shaker bench without drawers? Then what's Shaker about it?

Perhaps it's simply Shaker inspired.

To me the essence of a Shaker bench is the cabinet style base. I could be wrong, but I don't see the need to have two small drawers.

Brese only has one small drawer in the middle of his. I have seen other benches that don't have any drawers made by non Shaker people.

If I realize that I'm wrong, I'll add them.

Mel "Reindeer King" Morris

Gotcha.  I've seen Shaker benches with two banks of drawers instead of the cabinets.  Maybe that's a bastardization of the original Shaker design...I honestly don't know...but that's what I would do if I were building a Shaker bench.  I find drawers to be much handier in the shop, especially near a bench, than large cabinets.

No Drawers!
Mel, forgive me, but what are you nuts?

Unless you like stooping and bending, drawers are far superior to cabinet doors.
I have zero cabinet doors in my shop or my kitchen below my waist. They are all drawers. Yes, some of them are big drawers.
Call me lazy, but it's much easier to slide out a big drawer than to kneel down on the floor and rummage through a cabinet.

• Like 1

I said that I may add a sliding shelf earlier. I also haven't ruled out adding a drawer or two.

As for the screws, yep. They are all over this thing! Love 'em! :) Fill 'em and paint! ;)

Here's a current pic. Some of the keen eyed fellas here will notice that I made a mistake that I'll have to fix.

Posted Image

As for the screws, yep. They are all over this thing! Love 'em! :) Fill 'em and paint! ;)

:lol:, Mel, you know how I feel about screwed joints B).

Great progress. I would suggest suck it and see on drawers (although bear in mind you are speaking to someone who keeps their tools in a fancy wooden bin with a few other bits on the shelf below my bench). Because you have made the face frames flush with the carcase sides fitting accuride undermount or any other kind of conventional full extension runner (it will need to be full extender) would an easy job.

Good progress, do you have the wood for the top yet?