BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

Pat, it is very tight. Should engage all the way though. Make sure your riving knife is all the way seated. If it's not it will bind on the locking mechanism.

All the way locked.

ba6yge2u.jpg

Pat and Mel - I have the same saw as well - it ws VERY tight, to the point where this weekend my hand slipped and I smashed my little finger into the knife (I was pushing it closed with the factory push stick) it's pretty gnarly.

If you look at the unit there are two 4mm (I believe) bolts that are the adjustment screws to align the knife with the blade.  If you unscrew them all the way (watch out - there is a washer and a lock washer as well... try not to drop then in, say, a pile of sawdust... ahem) it will completely detach the assembly.  On the opposite side of the locking handle, there is a lock-nut that can be loosened to significantly decrease the tension.  Mine was getting to the point where I wasn't using the knife - which is pretty terrible for a safety device!  I'll see if I can upload some photos if you need it! 

Mine is ok. I think it should be tight... Because the riving knife relies on the clamping action of the locking mechanism to stay upright, I don't see why I would want it too loose. Certainly shouldn't be too difficult to move, but a nice solid registration on clamp is desired. It would be really easy to get it too loose, and that wouldn't help.

Orange grip = hand operation. If you need a tool it is wrong.

I agree with this, if it's so tight that you need tools to get the knife out, it's either not meant to be removed regularly, or the alignment screws are way too tight. My G0690 was too tight when I first got it, so I had to readjust all the alignment screws.

I agree Mel - it needs to be snug, absolutely, but if it's snug when closing then it'll hold upright and do its job, there shouldn't be slop in the knife when locked down.  It's much better to use now, I can easily change the height for through cuts and put it back up for installing the blade guard - MUCH better! 

Additionally, and back on topic, this bench project is awesome, Mel - I've been needing a bench, but I've been a little hesitant to dive into a full on bench build - plus I really like the storage included with this design.

• Like 1