BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

I was thinking Mel might be interested in this one.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll know tomorrow if I'm gonna jump on it. My wood man is 15 minutes away. May not have this thickness though. If someone wants it, jump on it. Looks to be around $50 for me shipped. Good deal!

I'm just accumulating parts a little at the time for a bench. It'll be one of a kind, and not really any style other than mine.   I don't have time to build one right now anyway.   I had already gotten this piece for the tail vise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231122246434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Dear Lord!! That is a monster of a hunk of wood!!! Are we thinking tool tray between the large piece and the smaller piece?

I was super happy when I found that piece! It was in the back of the pile! I actually found what I was looking for, but I just has to keep digging! Glad I did. :)

We are!! Well, sort of a cross between a tool tray and a split top idea. Meaning a tool tray that can pop up to be used as a planing stop. I am going to look at it more tomorrow to see if I should make it so I can fit a clamp in between the two.

The challenge will be not interfering with my storage options, but shouldn't be a problem because I don't want drawers. :)

• Like 1

I was super happy when I found that piece! It was in the back of the pile! I actually found what I was looking for, but I just has to keep digging! Glad I did. :)

We are!! Well, sort of a cross between a tool tray and a split top idea. Meaning a tool tray that can pop up to be used as a planing stop. I am going to look at it more tomorrow to see if I should make it so I can fit a clamp in between the two.

The challenge will be not interfering with my storage options, but shouldn't be a problem because I don't want drawers. :)

Does this mean I won the prize??! Does Eric send me his jointer plane now? :-P

So no drawers, eh? This should be interesting!

The tool tray can easily be attached with some ledger strips underneath the bench. This can allow them to be taken out quickly. Maybe keep some extra strips stored in the boxes (trays) of various thicknesses to use as shims when you want to raise the trays to act as a stop. Cool thing about taking the trays out is you can clamp in the center of a project in an unconventional manner. This is one of the reasons why whenever I get to the bench build, I think I will go with the 21st. century version by Mr. Lang.

Chop,

Eric won't be sending any planes out :(

There are a few ways to do the tray... On the split top Roubo, the tray is notched, so it can simply lift up and slide over so it stays up. Probably the easiest way to do it.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. :) This bench is getting interesting!

On another note, I ordered the hinges today. Cool thing is they are cheaper through Amazon than through the manufacturer. About 40% less, and shipping was cheaper too. Pays to shop around!

Wait until y'all see it painted! Not a very traditional color choice. But, I feel that it will work very well with the design. :) Stay tuned!!

Mel, I can't wait to see this finished! It looks like a very doable project as well. This thread is really giving me the itch to make one for myself!

It is easier than I thought it was going to be. I wish I started earlier! If it wasn't so cold out, I'd be further along.

If you (or anyone) has questions about the construction I'll be glad to help out any way I can!

• Like 1