BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

Welcome to the world of woodworking with plywood! It has its place :-)

BTW - what were the special screws?

Thanks :) I am starting to warm up to the idea of using plywood in my builds. Don't get scared, I'm not hanging up my handtools for a flannel just yet! ;)

The screws I had to get were the Spax 12x2.5". I used 8's for the shelf support, but the sides and dividers called for 12's in the plan.

As for the ply, it looked like the best stuff they had. The only real "better" one they had was a maple faced one that had visible voids in it, so really not better, and I'm painting the bench anyway. Although, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with the interior of the cabinet. maybe paint it, maybe just clear it. I'll know when I get there. :)

All in all, this is coming together very well, and would be much quicker if I had everything I needed ahead of time. But things being what they are this time of year, I decided to just get started with what I have, and get the rest later. Otherwise, I'd be really behind on this one!

Well, it's cold out! Finished up the carcass and got a little done on the face frame. Ran out of wood. I'll get more Thursday and have this looking like a bench this weekend. The stiles are just standing there to make it look like I got more done. And the frame on the left side is for the door to access the vise hardware inside the bench. Here are some shots... yqy2ejy6.jpgunazuhut.jpg3egaje8a.jpg

• Like 2

What plywood did you end up going with and where did you source it from?

I got it from HD. Just 3/4 ply. No idea if it has a name. It was the best looking stuff they had as far as not having voids, and it's flatter than the rest of the stuff they have.

I saw an ecuador stamp on the edge of one of the pieces of plywood in your picture.  I will wager a guess that its made by Arauco. They used to sell a nice pine plywood called araucoply. The top veneer was a full thickness veneer, meaning it wasn't 1/64 or less but the entire top and bottom ply. They are of decent quality for the price.

As for hanging up the handtools... lol, plywood joinery gets refined in my shop with hand tools all the time ;-) That arauco ply I mentioned, I have planed the several faces to smooth out the grain before finishing. Its like plywood of yesteryear. Too bad its not in other species and too bad the factory burned down last year and HD stopped carrying it locally.

Let me throw my hat in for the interior - spray either lacquer or shellac or quick dry waterborn poly. If you can't spray, then brush on the lac or shellac. Quick drying for some protection of the interior surfaces, while leaving a nice contrast when you open the doors and drawers.

• Like 1

For the next one mel haha! Well this could infact help someone who reads this and decides to build one in the future. Thats what we are here for, to experience our journeys and share with others and help.

Indeed!

My first thought was to paint the inside, and leave the back panels unpainted. Maybe a BLO finish on the unpainted part. I figure it would be too dark if I paint the insides, so here we are :)

It's still wide open, so no real harm :) Perhaps just a slight inconvenience. ;)

Also thought about Arm-R-Seal and mineral spirit, 50% mix. Not sure which one will win. I'll rub some to test it out.

The Arm-R-Seal can take up to 2 weeks to cure. I don't know about you, but I don't want to open my drawers and be whiffing that stuff for the next few years! ;-)

I second this,

unless Melo's keeping clothing inside his bench, he won't have to worry about smell. The whole smell thing really only matters for things like clothing that actually absorb the smell surrounding them.

I wouldn't think the odor would be a major issue. It's in the shop and should have plenty of time to cure up. Suggest some test pieces and see what you like!

• Like 1