Unloading 700 lb planer

Robert Devereaux

It took four guys to lift a 1100# player piano into the back of my horse trailer.  I got it out and into my shop by myself.  Just a matter of planning, a little construction and the right tools for the job.

Not how I did it but many, if not most, tool rental places will rent a skidster (Bobcat) for a reasonable rate and you could probably get that with a set of forks.  Last time I checked here it was $300/hr - well worth it to protect the investment in your new tool.

• Like 1

Have the delivery truck deliver to your driveway and unload with their lift gate. If your drive is smooth concrete, use 3 pieces of 1" pipe as rollers and roll it by picking up a piece of pipe at a time and placing it in front of the other two, etc. On rough terrain, I've used round fence post to do the same thing, rolling it on pieces of plywood. It's slow going but it sure saves on backs and doesn't change the pitch of your voice