Another New Chisel

pghmyn

I made a project for a friend that netted me about $75 in profit after paying all material costs. I decided I would buy myself another Lie-Nielsen chisel. I placed an order for a 3/8" chisel, and received an email saying that they were out of stock. So, I asked if they had any in the O-1 steel in stock. They did, and they are shipping it out tomorrow. I decided this would be a good chance to try out the difference between the two steels, and at the same price I don't lose anything.

I'm looking forward to this delivery :)

Interested in your results. A lot of guys prefer the O-1 for paring... Did you order the std or paring handle?

Standard handle. Pretty much will use it for dovetail work and other typical applications. Hardest wood I use is Cherry/Soft Maple. I'm confident that for as little abuse I put on my chisels, the sharpening shouldn't be life or death. Freddie, have you used O1 before? I'm just curious as to any different sharpening steps I should take with it, or if I can just continue with my methods now.

I'm interested in the pending results, too :)

Excellent Sam! You have chosen wisely, 01 will be your freind. No need to change your regime at all. The option you have now is if you want to lower your honing & grinding angles for surgical hand paring you can without worrying about the edge crumbling (this is only what I have heard, I don't own and A2 because of the feedback).

Excellent Sam! You have chosen wisely, 01 will be your freind. No need to change your regime at all. The option you have now is if you want to lower your honing & grinding angles for surgical hand paring you can without worrying about the edge crumbling (this is only what I have heard, I don't own and A2 because of the feedback).

When I get the chisel in my hands, expect a slough of PMs!

• Like 1

I went the same route and ended up going O1. I use a strop and have not noticed that I need to sharpen any faster than the A2 chisel. These are my bench chisels only. I wish they made mortising chisels in O1. 

On the flip side I honestly do not see that O1 takes a keener edge. I use a diamond stone and they both sharpen in the same number of strokes and both metals peel a whisper thin shaving if needed. 

The O1's come from the factory ground at 25 degrees. The A2's come from the factory at 30 degrees. As has been mentioned if you prefer paring then the O1's are for you and the longer paring handle is useful but not essential. My set of A2's are supplemented with a couple of O1's (1/2" and 1") dedicated solely for paring.