What businesses do you admire?

wintersedge

Just curious what stores/websites do you find to offer superior products and/or customer service?

This is my third order with Lee Valley and I am amazed at their service and quality of products. 

Zappo's has the best online customer service I have ever experienced. 

John Neeman makes some of the best product videos I have seen. I do not own one of his axes but I have used one and they are just beautiful tools. http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/axes

Dave Munson makes the best hand made leather bags I have ever seen. They are certainly not inexpensive but they will last you two lifetimes and are made to be handed down as heirloom pieces: http://www.saddlebackleather.com

I will post more as I look through my history.

I buy all of my hand tools from Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley and Craftsman Studio...all three are top notch companies.  Almost everything else I buy, for woodworking and non-woodworking, comes from Amazon.  Amazon basically has the best customer service in the world.  And if you're a Prime member, you get almost everything shipped free...two day air...free.  Two days. 

For me, Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley are incredible companies to work with. I never had ti be nervous ordering from them. The reason I state that is because while I enjoy Grizzly's low harbor freight prices, I've only had headaches and nightmares everytime I received a product from them. And contrary to what people say, I was not pleased with cs. I was put on hold, talked to in that oh im so sorry baby voice, and never called back when said i would be in one or 2 days. It took 3 months and two personal trips to grizzly in pennsylvania to sort that garbage out. Never again! However, If I order something from either of first mentioned companies, I know whatever is in the box will be perfect everytime, because these companies care, and stand behind their product.

LN and Amazon are my favorites. Great service, great products.

Can't beat two day shipping from Amazon either!

I'll add Home Depot to the list. Of course it depends on your location, but I really like mine.

Woodcraft is great, just don't buy wood from them. Although I'm lucky to have a great mill locally, Kettle Moraine Hardwoods. Always nice and helpful.

I won't go into Rockler unless I have to. They only seem to want to help if you're spending a few thousand. I've been blatantly ignored several times.

You're comparing apples and oranges, Freddie.  Part of the reason you pay so much for LN and Veritas stuff is because of their top-shelf quality control, and their customer service follows suit.  It's an entirely different business model, and you have to expect to get what you pay for when you buy from Grizzly.  I've had a number of quality control issues with them,  which I expected when I bought their stuff, but their customer service has always been good to me.  You may have had a string of dud reps...it's seems fairly unanimous that Grizzly CS is pretty good.  At least one would hope so since they have so much trouble with QC.

I do have to say, I was in the Springfield, MO showroom a couple weeks ago looking at 12" jointers, and the "sales reps" there were about as close to useless as one could get.  They knew nothing about their machines.  Three of them...scratching their heads at about 95% of my questions.  But again, I kind of expect that.  I go into a Grizzly purchase knowing that I'm facing potential headaches, and that I'm pretty much on my own evaluating the acceptable tolerances of each particular machine compared to the price tag.  I chalk these headaches up to part of the bargain.  If I want to avoid problems like this I buy another brand...and pay more money.

• Like 1

I have had one Grizzly experience and it was nothing but problems. it was a lunchbox planer. They ship nearly everything via a freight carrier who was a nightmare to deal with. They missed their first 2 delivery windows. In both cases i took the morning off work to receive the shipment and they did not make it in time or call to tell me they would be late. I get it, they ship mostly thousand pound machines so this is what they need to do. But a lunch box planer can go via UPS and avoid all these headaches. I will chalk it up to inexperience in my part for not understanding their business model but their customer service and their shippers customer service was so lousy and unapologetic I will never buy from them again. A simple "i am sorry sir our shipper must be having problems" would have gone a long way.

You're comparing apples and oranges, Freddie. Part of the reason you pay so much for LN and Veritas stuff is because of their top-shelf quality control, and their customer service follows suit. It's an entirely different business model, and you have to expect to get what you pay for when you buy from Grizzly. I've had a number of quality control issues with them, which I expected when I bought their stuff, but their customer service has always been good to me. You may have had a string of dud reps...it's seems fairly unanimous that Grizzly CS is pretty good. At least one would hope so since they have so much trouble with QC.

I do have to say, I was in the Springfield, MO showroom a couple weeks ago looking at 12" jointers, and the "sales reps" there were about as close to useless as one could get. They knew nothing about their machines. Three of them...scratching their heads at about 95% of my questions. But again, I kind of expect that. I go into a Grizzly purchase knowing that I'm facing potential headaches, and that I'm pretty much on my own evaluating the acceptable tolerances of each particular machine compared to the price tag. I chalk these headaches up to part of the bargain. If I want to avoid problems like this I buy another brand...and pay more money.

Amazon sells on thin margins but they still have good customer service. It is possible to do both. Maybe Grizz on average does have good service but I did not see it.

Amazon sells on thin margins but they still have good customer service. It is possible to do both. Maybe Grizz on average does have good service but I did not see it.

Amazon sells their products on thin margins...in fact they often sell products at a loss just so they can offer their customers the best prices around.  They also make billions a year on commissions from third-party sellers.  And another huge chunk of their income comes from the fulfillment centers.  They've been eating returns and selling at a loss for years to establish the best customer service in the world, and they continue to incrementally raise prices on sellers to offset the losses from the returns and red-sales they constantly eat.

I'm not making excuses for poor customer service from any company...just explaining how I personally view doing business with a company like Grizzly where the obvious advantage is saving money, and really that's the only reason a person would buy from them.  I don't know anyone who just LOVES Grizzly equipment and thinks it's the greatest stuff around.  We buy from them for a budget-friendly alternative...and we should probably expect budget-friendly service. :)

• Like 1

Whoops! Well then it hasnt been said enough. :)

Right on! I'll never give up my TS55 and ETS150 (with midi DE). Other than a domino, those are about the most useful tools for me from Festool.

I can't forget to mention Starrett. Might seem silly, but when I got my combo square, I really liked that it said "Inspected by Michael R." It gave a name to the last person to inspect my tool before getting to me. Something satisfying in that.

I like the attitiude of Lee Valley although I have never purchased or for the forseable I am unlikely to purchase from them. I am yet to hear of bad feedback. I love ebay, it's a bit of a gamble, sometimes a luck dip, but I like the fun of not knowing quite what's going to turn up! It's easy to shift things if they don't float my boat.

I really like Clifton Tools from the UK. I have a #5 on the way, saw a bargain(ish) on ebay and went for it. I also want a #4 when I can add my birthday vouchers to my Christmas vouchers. They had a real tough start to life when they launced, flooded factory, casting supplier going bust on them, but they kept going. They make some lovely shoulder planes based on preston designs. The business was started by a guy who used to work for Record tools, he then set up his own business making quality planes. A small team of talented workers, lovely!

• Like 1

Just curious what stores/websites do you find to offer superior products and/or customer service?

Dave Munson makes the best hand made leather bags I have ever seen. They are certainly not inexpensive but they will last you two lifetimes and are made to be handed down as heirloom pieces: http://www.saddlebackleather.com

I will post more as I look through my history.

My Saddleback leather briefcase is possibly my favorite thing that I have ever owned. I will have it for the rest of life, which is saying a lot as i used to burn through "Nice" laptop bags about every 18 months.

You really have to see one to understand just how well they are made. I've had mine for about three years and it has just really gotten broken in.

I am also really smitten with Lee Valley. Their customer service is great, they don't sell junk, and they are an ethical company to boot,

• Like 1

My Saddleback leather briefcase is possibly my favorite thing that I have ever owned. I will have it for the rest of life, which is saying a lot as i used to burn through "Nice" laptop bags about every 18 months.

You really have to see one to understand just how well they are made. I've had mine for about three years and it has just really gotten broken in.

I am also really smitten with Lee Valley. Their customer service is great, they don't sell junk, and they are an ethical company to boot,

Thanks Chuck and wintersedge, Now I need a new wallet.