Since signing up for Amazon Prime

pghmyn

Given the choice, I usually stick to the sold by amazon products unless there is a compelling price difference, greater than $5 or 10%. It's purely due to the customer service and having some annoying experiences with third party sellers. I will go FBA after that and full on third party only if they are the only person selling it.

Items you buy from FBA sellers will get exactly the same customer service as items bought directly from AZ.  All FBA items are shipped by AZ, and they take care of all the returns and customer service.  The only difference is your money goes to a third party seller instead of AZ.  Same products, same buying experience.  But you're helping out small businesses instead of a mega-corp.  Food for thought. :)

When you're looking at a product page, right below the price you'll see "Sold by (seller name) and Fulfilled by Amazon" for FBA sellers.  Items sold directly from Amazon will say "Sold by and shipped from Amazon."  The easiest identifier of FBA items is that it'll say "Prime" next to the price.  Non-FBA sellers are not eligible for Prime benefits.

z6zi.png

The "Fulfilled By" model isn't that new, Amazon is just developing it to a ridiculously well-done level... 

Not far from my home is the large warehouse of a company who has done fulfillment for decades...  They've shipped everything from AOL disks, to Hairdini's, to Gazelles, to No-No's, to Cham-Wow's, to Flo-Bee's, to exercise and real estate investing plan packages...  

I heard a statistic once that 80% of people with Prime memberships won't even look at non-Prime sellers.  It's a no-brainer as a seller to go FBA, but once I heard that I never even considered doing merchant-fulfilled sales.  I'm happy to hear all the positive comments about Amazon.

I heard a statistic once that 80% of people with Prime memberships won't even look at non-Prime sellers.  It's a no-brainer as a seller to go FBA, but once I heard that I never even considered doing merchant-fulfilled sales.  I'm happy to hear all the positive comments about Amazon.

Yea the only time I look at a non-Prime seller, is when I can't find what I want, or when the item price is high enough to potentially have a sale price + shipping be less than someone selling via Prime.

• Like 1

TIODS, I completely appreciate your dedication to supporting local businesses, and I do the same whenever possible.  Unfortunately, I have to agree with cochese that it's not possible very often.  The brick & mortar mom & pop shops of yester-year hardly exist anymore.  Very often you'll think you're buying from a locally-owned small business and you'll find that they're either a national franchise (which is kind of a half & half scenario since they're partially "local") or they're owned by someone or a group of shareholders and a hedge fund manager from another state.  Rockler is a good example...when I first started woodworking I thought I was buying from a local small business...little did I know my money was being sent straight to Minnesota. <_<

But there are some out there still...my hardwood dealer is a perfect example.  He's a one-man show and lives about 5 minutes from his business.  Anytime I can buy from him or his one local competitor, I do.  Unfortunately their prices on tools are so outrageous I'm forced to buy elsewhere.  They just can't do the volume that the big boys do to stay competitive...the Wal-Mart effect has taken over almost all of retail.  Sometimes it's just impossible to keep your money in the community.  I don't know a single small business in my area where I can buy groceries, toiletries, diapers, etc.

But all that said, and even as someone who makes his living in e-commerce, I do still share your interest in supporting my community, so I'm by no means lecturing you.  Just realize that many, if not most, small businesses have moved to internet sales in order to survive, and very often you're supporting the "little guy" when you buy on Amazon.  If you click on an item and it doesn't say "sold and shipped by Amazon," there's a very good chance your money is going to a small business owned by a family...in your state or the next state over or across the country...either way it makes me feel better to support a person rather than a huge corporation, even if it's not local.  Brick and mortar is going out like a dinosaur, probably for the worse for society, but it's reality nonetheless.

Southwood, the reason you pay sales tax is because Amazon has a fulfillment center in Indiana.  It was decided (I believe by the Supreme Court) that any state in which an online retailer has a physical presence, they are required to pay sales tax, since they are using the local, tax-paid infrastructure to conduct business.  Rest assured that the tax dollars you pay go right back into Indiana...Amazon collects the taxes, distributes them to the seller, and the seller is responsible for paying each state those sales taxes every quarter.  For those sellers who ignore their tax responsibilities, Amazon holds the funds and pays the states directly.  So just know your money isn't going to California. :)

Amazon taxes are currently paid in ten states.  They're still debating whether or not the other states where there is no physical presence should pay taxes.  I'll refrain from comment on that in light of the "no politics" rule on this forum. :)

Amazon is based out of state of Washington. Sales tax is under state not federal jurisdiction. I can't say for certain but for most states, any physical presence means collecting that states sales tax. California was at one point making a claim that even affiliates (like Marc's pass through to Amazon from his site) qualified as in-state presence. It's academic at this point because Amazon is striking agreements with a States on sales tax collection so they can pave the way for more local distribution centers to get to eventual same day deliveries (by truck if not by Bezos' pet delivery by drone program).

I don't know if this is nationwide but Amazon contracted with the USPS to make Sunday deliveries. I've had several prime orders delivered to me on Sunday. It is weird to see the mailman pull up on a Sunday while I'm working I my shop (aka garage) to drop off a package. Maybe this will help the USPS service survive in the long run.

Elected idiots (regardless of party) are going to take more than they deserve every time!  Death and taxes will always happen!

My point was that I choose to support my neighbor right here whenever I can.  Now, with that said, if the local supplier is not even in the price ball park or can't supply what I want/need, I have no issue with ordering on line.

I just got 2 new LN planes in the mail today.  They certainly didn't come from a local dealer.

Like I said earlier, I have no problem with them collecting the proper taxes. It has to be done for basic needs, roads and other stuff we don't think about. 

I did forget I could watch movies and other shows with Prime until now. I may have to check that part out

Yes, if you have a smartphone or tablet with wireless display capability (airplay with Apple/IOS or miracast with google/Android) you can pull up a movie or whatever and blast it to your big screen. With Netflix and Prime now, I'm about ready to buy an over-the-air antenna and ditch my cable. I hate paying $30 a month for basic cable.

Yes, if you have a smartphone or tablet with wireless display capability (airplay with Apple/IOS or miracast with google/Android) you can pull up a movie or whatever and blast it to your big screen. With Netflix and Prime now, I'm about ready to buy an over-the-air antenna and ditch my cable. I hate paying $30 a month for basic cable.

Ok, my cable is a whole nother story!  Since they're not a local company, I have no issues shopping.  Problem is that they're about the only game in town for decent connection.

I don't have a smartphone (gave it up) and I refuse to.  I just don't need to be that connected to everyone I know every minute of the day and night.