Good detail sander?

pdovy

I ripped up carpet of the stairs in my basement recently and discovered a nice set of old oak steps, but they are in dire need of refinishing.  I spent some time this weekend trying to get to it but realized in order to do this in any reasonable amount of time I'm going to need a good quality detail sander to hit all the corners / edges.  Any recommendations?

Of course, I have been eyeing the Festool RO 90 DX, but not sure I can justify the price tag - I have a serviceable 5" DeWalt RO sander already.  Are there decent options between the cheapo "mouse" sanders you can pick up for $40 and the Festool?

Paul

Just purchased one from Harbor Freight.....they have some cheap detail sanders too. One is for $20.00. Use the crap out of it and throw it away!!!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=multi+tool

The key is using good sandpaper. Go here http://www.industrialabrasives.com/hook-loop-discs-sheets-hook-loop-detail-sanding-discs-c-201_192.html

-Ace-

==>Festool RO 90 DX

I eBayed my 125 and 150 Rotex sanders, but kept the 90. It's the most useful of the lot. However, I wouldn't really call it a detail sander. In FT's line, that would be the 93.

The Fein is also a very handy tool to have around...

==>Festool RO 90 DX

I eBayed my 125 and 150 Rotex sanders, but kept the 90. It's the most useful of the lot. However, I wouldn't really call it a detail sander. In FT's line, that would be the 93.

The Fein is also a very handy tool to have around...

Ah, good point.  How do you feel about the delta pad on the 90?  It looks similar in size to the 93, but if I'm going to plunk down the cash having normal Rotex mode would be nice.

==>How do you feel about the delta pad on the 90?  It looks similar in size to the 93, but if I'm going to plunk down the cash having normal Rotex mode would be nice.

The RO90 is a decent piece of kit. On many levels, it's really the only Rotex sander worth getting. It does many things well, but it's not a detail sander. The 93 is a physically smaller unit, the pad is smaller and it operates with a much finer motion. The RO90s -Delta Pad motion is course and great for removing paint from wooden shutters, but it's not fine enough for furniture work. The Fein unit is also very good and I put it above the 93...