French cleat load limit.

DavidC

A good place to start is to avoid using sheetrock screws, they are not intended to be the go-to fastener, but everybody seems to use them for everything. Im sure some of you have seen wall cabinets collapse due to sheetrock screws shearing. If you want to hold a ton of weight check out ledger-locks.

• Like 1

I end up using these things, sold in Lowes, for all sorts of things.  I built a roof that cantilevered out six feet off one side of a boat house/dock to cover some Jetskiis on lifts.  We had 2x12x16s screwed to the boathouse roof posts with them, and then another 2x8 screwed to the 2x12, so I was standing on a walk-board that was cantilevered out 9 feet over the water.  I'm a good swimmer, so I didn't worry about falling in, but those screws had a lot of torque on them.

Last week, we stiffened up the upper end of a  handrail that had been loose for about a hundred years.  I clamped a 4-1/2 inch grinder to the bench, chucked one of these long screws in a drill, and turned the head down so it would go in a 1/2" hole, so it wouldn't be such a big one to plug.  It worked great.

They're T30 TORX drive, and an 18v impact driver will run them right in without a lead hole.  

I also use them to pull up twisted ends on some of our horse pasture fencing when a board twists.  I've never seen one broken, but I don't know what their load limit is.  I'm pretty sure one of these in each stud would hold whatever a cabinet will hold.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=155913-37672-47870&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3342802&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I end up using these things, sold in Lowes, for all sorts of things. I built a roof that cantilevered out six feet off one side of a boat house/dock to cover some Jetskiis on lifts. We had 2x12x16s screwed to the boathouse roof posts with them, and then another 2x8 screwed to the 2x12, so I was standing on a walk-board that was cantilevered out 9 feet over the water. I'm a good swimmer, so I didn't worry about falling in, but those screws had a lot of torque on them.

Last week, we stiffened up the upper end of a handrail that had been loose for about a hundred years. I clamped a 4-1/2 inch grinder to the bench, chucked one of these long screws in a drill, and turned the head down so it would go in a 1/2" hole, so it wouldn't be such a big one to plug. It worked great.

They're T30 TORX drive, and an 18v impact driver will run them right in without a lead hole.

I also use them to pull up twisted ends on some of our horse pasture fencing when a board twists. I've never seen one broken, but I don't know what their load limit is. I'm pretty sure one of these in each stud would hold whatever a cabinet will hold.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=155913-37672-47870&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3342802&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I might have to pick some of those up.

Be sure to get a T30 driver bit too. They should have them close to where those screws are. I like the ones that snap in the impact driver, rather than the little loose ones to go in an adaptor, and have a high probability of getting lost.

Will do. They sell them individually? I saw they are around $1.37 each.

I end up using these things, sold in Lowes, for all sorts of things.  I built a roof that cantilevered out six feet off one side of a boat house/dock to cover some Jetskiis on lifts.  We had 2x12x16s screwed to the boathouse roof posts with them, and then another 2x8 screwed to the 2x12, so I was standing on a walk-board that was cantilevered out 9 feet over the water.  I'm a good swimmer, so I didn't worry about falling in, but those screws had a lot of torque on them.

Last week, we stiffened up the upper end of a  handrail that had been loose for about a hundred years.  I clamped a 4-1/2 inch grinder to the bench, chucked one of these long screws in a drill, and turned the head down so it would go in a 1/2" hole, so it wouldn't be such a big one to plug.  It worked great.

I also use them to pull up twisted ends on some of our horse pasture fencing when a board twists.  I've never seen one broken, but I don't know what their load limit is.  I'm pretty sure one of these in each stud would hold whatever a cabinet will hold.

i use those a lot for miscellaneous odds and ends. ^

i use these for any serious structural situations.. they are rated for 965lbs shear strength and 1,215lbs tensile strength

here we used them to attach two sets of 1/2" thick 4"x6" angle iron to old oak rafters , makita 18v impact no problem. 

12807407204_a07a207ba2_z.jpg

We have a lar account at lowes, no matter what we buy we get 5% off.

Lowes is just like HD you only get a discount with their credit card. I have one of each and a commercial sign up at both. 9 time out of ten HD or Lowes will be three times more expensive than any real commercial type resale place. 5% doesn't even come close to what you pay in the real commercial market if you have the elegibility. Even their consumer credit card offers the 5% discount so no real pro discount what so ever.