Grizzly Tools

jtoland

Hello fellow woodworkers,

I'm just starting to build my collection of tools and I need some advice. I am usually a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but i also know that in a lot of cases you are simply paying for the name. I've done a lot of research into what brand of tools would be the best bang for my buck, and Grizzly seems to keep popping up.

My question is, if you've had experience with Grizzly tools, are they worth it? Does the price reflect the quality of the tool?

Hey JT, Welcome to the forum! I am a firm believer of that saying as well, but when it comes to Grizzly, it does not apply. As far as I am concerned, Grizzly is a great way for a person to start getting tools. And when I say tools, I mean their power woodworking tools. They make a really good line of tables saws, planers, and jointers. I myself am upgrading from a Grizzly 6" w/spiral head to aGrizzly 12" w/spiral head. A lot of their tools receive good reviews. I would like to say that they fall under "Best Bang For Your Buck" category. Good luck with your tool purchases.. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We like to answer them.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I also have a Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw, A 12" Baby Drum Sander, and Bench-top Mortiser. Love them all. I will admit that I did upgrade some parts on the Bandsaw (blade, fence, and bearings), but other than that it is great..

I have a Grizzly G0661 TS and a G0555X BS. Had the table saw for about a year and love it. Just got the BS about a month ago and haven't used it a lot but like it so far. I'm a member of another forum where comments on Grizzly customer service are very good. The president of Grizzly monitors that forum and steps in occassionally if needed. My two saws set up easily, delivery was good. The TS had a small cosmetic problem from shipping but no impact on operation and easy to fix.

Depending on your situation, you may want to pay extra for liftgate service to get the tools out of the truck. I didn't but had two really helpful drivers that helped me slide them into my pickup and then out of the PU into the garage.

Keep us posted on what you buy and what you think of Grizzly and the tools.

I guess the final word would be that if I was going to buy another tool, I would give Grizzly a very serious look.

I have the jointer that Sac is getting and it's an extremely well made machine.

I have a 6 inch grizzly jointer from 2003. I bought it a year or so ago from the original owner. It has done a fine job since I have owned it. That said I am upgrading to a rebuilt Powermatic 60 (8" jointer) and the two simply do not compare. It is an apples an oranges kind of case where it is a 6" vs an 8", but at the same time the older powermatic is just built a lot better in general, more iron, and better hardware.

I am a strong advocate of buying old tools and fixing them up. That said, a lot of people don't have the time or patience to do this (knowledge is not an issue, I didn't know jack about rebuilding tools before I began, you pick it up as you go).

As for just paying for a name-brand. Absolutely there are lots of cases of this in woodworking tools. I was researching a bandsaw a few months back and noticed that one of the grizzly bandsaws and one of the Jet bandsaws looked a bit similar. Well I pulled up their product manuals and as it turns out they have the exact same parts numbers. Yep, they were in fact the identical saw with different paint jobs and subtly different stands. The Jet saw was 150 dollars more then the grizzly. I am sure there are other situations like this as well.

Smaller handtools and power tools are a different matter, but when it comes to floor mounted power-tools, frequently grizzly has a good bang for your buck. Of course 25+ year old tools with more iron at half the cost would still be my preference ;)

I found a Grizzly 1023s cabinet saw on craigslist last year and snagged it. I was upgrading from a "beginner" level Delta contractor saw, and I have loved every minute of it. I suppose if I had a custom flame-painted Powermatic table saw (Huh? Who?) then I might be able to tell some difference between the Grizzly and the "premium" brands, but for now this is great in my shop.

I also have a Grizzly drill press, and will put them on the short list for other tool purchases in the future.

I've had good luck with with anything Grizzly so far. I just got a brand new 6" jointer, I also have a small lathe, grinder and some air tools. Quality is much better than you might expect for the price.

Im considering a grizzly planer as well.

Any one ever order from Canada? I read something about they take care of the brokerage. But im wondering about duty/tax etc?

Renzo, I know that there is a price that comes along with that.. What that price is I don't know.. I am sure that if you call customer service, they will help you out. That is one of their strong points.

25 or 30 years ago when I was just getting started Grizzley was somewhat questionable. BUT.. what issues they HAD have been addressed long ago and they semm to make quite a nice line of machines these days. Let's face it.. you wouldn't still be in business after 30 years if you still had issues.. Like everyone said.. great value for the $$$.

Renzo,

I live near Toronto and recently ordered a 513 bandsaw from Grizzly. The saw is listed for 698 with 94 for shipping giving a total of 792USD. I was willing to take the risk on there being some extra expenses to ship to Canada because it is such a better deal then can be had within the country. I was pleasently surprised when the grand total for everything was around 930CD. This included gst and lift gate service. Grizzly covered brokerage and there was no duty fee on mine. This was however before july 1st and becuase your in Ontario you might be slapped with the good ol hst. I hear it can also depend on the people processing your shipment, kinda luck of the draw.

I've been researching on a benchtop drill press... While doing some research on-line, I noticed different feedback for Shop Fox and Grizzly... seems like Grizzly branded drill press receive better reviews than Shop Fox branded drill press. Since they're the same company, I wonder why the difference?

I have a few Grizzly products that I've been very happy with. I have a G0500 8" jointer, a G0513 17" bandsaw and a G0634 12" jointer/planer combo with a spiral cutterhead. All have been great machines with no problems. Oh, and I have a Shop Fox mortising machine.

chris

[Thanks Stephe n.They certainly have some attractive pricing. Their polar bear series has piqued my interest.

quote name='Stephen V' timestamp='1281562509' post='1290']

Renzo,

I live near Toronto and recently ordered a 513 bandsaw from Grizzly. The saw is listed for 698 with 94 for shipping giving a total of 792USD. I was willing to take the risk on there being some extra expenses to ship to Canada because it is such a better deal then can be had within the country. I was pleasently surprised when the grand total for everything was around 930CD. This included gst and lift gate service. Grizzly covered brokerage and there was no duty fee on mine. This was however before july 1st and becuase your in Ontario you might be slapped with the good ol hst. I hear it can also depend on the people processing your shipment, kinda luck of the draw.

I'll chime in. As a hobbyist woodworker I find I need to manage my tool purchases based on budget typically. Grizzly is typically the best deal I can find on almost everything in floor/bench based tools. I have the GO555 bandsaw, the GO452 jointer, and the Shop Fox HO626 drill press. Not that I've owned much other than these, but I find the quality better than I expected and all work very well. I also like Ridgid and have their 13" planer and Osc. belt/drum sander. You can score some good quality stuff from Hitachi as well, but read your reviews. I have a Hitachi 12" CMS, brad nailer, and 2 base router kit. the Router is a good router but the plunge base is it's weakness. Triton makes a nice router, too - btw :)

To me, Grizzly offers the best merchandise at any price point.

I have been "tooling up" my WW shop for 18 months now after an 18 year absence. My wife encouraged me to "get back" into WW, but I didn't tell her I was thinking aroung $5k too tool up. All I had was a hammer and a skill-saw!

I bought a used Grizzly 10 in HEAVY-DUTY TABLE SAW Model G1023Z (it came with a few pricey accessories) used for $500. The OLD fella was a WW teacher at UK, and was exiting the biz. That thing is GRAND! He really had it tuned up too.

Then I bought a new Grizzly 17 in Heavy Duty Bandsaw g0513, with the resaw fence, and am in love with the thing. It was WAY cheaper than other bandsaws with similar specs. Now I can cut good sized logs! The ice storm here in KY left me with 10 trees on the ground, after milling with a Stihl Chainsaw MS2390 and an alaskan mark III mill and a G555B mini-mill that band saw is LOVELY!! I have a couple of planks that have been drying since Feb '09 that I will use to make the bench-top for the David Lang 20th century work bench.

Then I bought a Grizzly 18 in Open End Drum Sander g0458 just a week ago. It dusted up my shop really bad. So, last weekend I went to Harbor Freight and got a 2 HP Industrial 5 Micron Dust Collector. I have an order coming in from Woodcraft with the needed "accessories" so I can easily connect the dust collector to the tool next in line to be used.

I only wish Mark could get a sponsership with Grizzly so we can learn from him which of the other Grizzly tools are good. I tire of hearing about the expensive Festools.

I have a buddy that makes furniture and things from Antlers. He swears by Grizzly saying that they are the best.

MOMWOW