Beech huntboard

Bombarde16

Posted ImagePosted Image

Legs squared and cut to length. First step is a decorative cut with a core box bit on the router table. The table is nothing more than a sheet of plywood with some holes. I have it clamped to the table saw so I can use the fence.

Sled's also earning it's keep again as it's easy to set it up as a tapering jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob, what exactly does that sled do?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

It's nothing more than a flat surface to which a workpiece can be clamped. The side of the sled runs against the rip fence and an odd shaped workpiece is clamped partially hanging off the other side. Pass the whole thing through the saw and Presto! A straight cut is born.

You can use it to straight line rip a rough piece of stock or, by adding a few strategically placed stops and battens, create a tapering jig. This sled is well on its way to earning the ultimate honor bestowed upon a shop aid: A coat of paint and the title "keeper".

NB: I certainly can't claim credit for the idea.

http://jayscustomcreations.com/2014/01/a-collection-of-table-saw-jig-videos/

azeveny5.jpg

Got it up on the legs today. The front four legs are attached; the back two are merely clamped in place. Took measurements for the side panels and we'll do those tomorrow afternoon.

One of the tenors in choir works in a lab and he's bringing a small bottle of ammonium hydroxide. Should look great once it darkens.

I'm addicted! First thread I look for whenever I log in.

Those details on the legs look a lot better in real life than they did on the plans. I quite like the look of them now it is starting to come together. Have you decided on the backsplash style/detail yet?

Wouldn't you know it? There was a bag full of leftover cleats just sitting here, buried on a back shelf. Saves me some time getting the top attached.

ugu2equ2.jpg

African mahogany no less! Amazing what you find when you clean up. Got the top attached and started ripping drawer stock to final width.

zyquzymy.jpg

Next up is some cross cutting. I had planned to do these with pegged rabbets but, sure enough, there's actually a dovetail jig here, too. As I say, amazing what you find when you clean up.

eguje9ej.jpg

Get thee behind me, Satan.

I was all set to do pinned, rabbeted drawers when my friend pulled out the shop's dovetailing jig. Looks like an older version of the Porter-Cable that I have at home. Combs and bits are there to do half blinds and, near as we can tell, it's never even been used. (Yup. His predecessor was a strange one.)

Little voices telling me that I can get this thing set up and do the lot of 'em in just as much time as it'd take to set up the saw for rabbets, glue the rabbets, pin the rabbets, trim the pins, etc.