The Bathroom :)

pghmyn

Decided I could show you guys my first real work in progress room, which happens to be the bathroom. Nothing more than a few cosmetic upgrades, but hoping for a big difference in the room.

Here is the bathroom in the current state:

9E2AB78F-D299-4D4E-BC91-BE74C6831C1B_zps

I want to get rid of this vanity completely. It butts up and actually overhangs the bath tub. There is a smearing of silicone and other stuff on the joint between the vanity and tub. Water pools there because I can not pull my shower curtain all the way closed. I am going to build something much more simplistic with an open shelf on the bottom and possibly a drawer. Nothing overly complicated.

The shower head is new, and looks awkward in the current position. We are going to have it moved up so it works as intended. The water pressure in this house is absolutely fantastic, which made this shower head possible. The old fixtures for the rest of the tub are still there until we are ready to have the plumber do everything at once. Move the shower head up, install the single handle water control, and new tub spout (not sure what that part is called).

The tub is pristine. Solid metal. No scratches, dents, marks, anything. Scrubbed it when we moved in, and it looks brand new.

The medicine cabinet over the sink had to go. It was just dirty, gross, cracked, and the lights on the sides made some crackling noises. Didn't feel safe. I am not going to put another medicine cabinet in the wall. I am going to cover the space and put just a mirror there. I never like medicine cabinets, and my bathroom has a TON of storage on the other wall. Seen in the next pictures.

Here is the bottom half of the storage on the other wall:

17ae1521-141a-42e5-9201-bd982d3e4178_zps

And here is the top half:

d651d597-b44e-4f47-98e3-af0c8f2ff43f_zps

There are three doors, about 14-15" wide, floor to ceiling. They go about 36" deep, and have movable shelves. Really A LOT of space in those cabinets. I am going to install pull out drawers in some of them for ease of storage, and use. I am also going to make a new face frame and set of doors to math the vanity. I picked up some clear white hard maple, and that is what I am going to use.

The floor in the room is going to be a dark gray slate tile, and the walls are undecided. I might let the fiance pick that one.

But, as long winded as that was, that is all I have to update you guys with as of now :) It's a work in progress, but it is slowly getting done!

I've heard of people turning antique tables into bathroom vanities, or even converting dressers.  If you don't want a lot of under sink storage, you could build a vanity with four legs and a minimal cabinet to hide the major fixtures.  (I'm thinking the Shaker table as an interesting idea...)

Like everybody's said, glad you've got a plan in place!  Have fun with this.  Seriously.  I know renovations are a source of anxiety/anguish/expense/frustration, but find a way to have some fun with this, and you'll appreciate it even more.

I had an electrician friend come in and check out my wiring, and put in a GFCI outlet in the bathroom while he was here. There are a lot of things for me to button up, but he is confident I can do it myself. If I have any questions, I can call him anytime for him to come over. When I start to do new runs out outlets, I am going to do the grunt work, have him come over to check it, and then finish work in the panel. Seems like the best way for me to go. He does all this work for free, not expecting anything in return because he loves to help friends. I can't let him go unthanked, so gas cards and (all homemade) tamales, tortilla chips, and guacamole, coming his way!

I dug up a picture of a pull out pantry we built.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm going to be using full travel drawer slides with drawers like you would find in lower cabinets in the kitchen. My fiance's aunt has a pantry at her house that is pretty darn close to what I exactly want for the bathroom. I can't locate to post I had saved awhile ago that you guys gave me links to buying drawer slides. If I was to buy about 10 at one time, all the same size, where would be the best place to do that?

Exellent Sam, nice to hear silicone is a "fix all" solution on US job site too! I'mm sure the room will come together very nicely.

I swear they didn't even use a caulking gun to bead this stuff. They cut it open like a roll of croissants, scooped it out by hand, and slathered it in place.

I've heard of people turning antique tables into bathroom vanities, or even converting dressers.  If you don't want a lot of under sink storage, you could build a vanity with four legs and a minimal cabinet to hide the major fixtures.  (I'm thinking the Shaker table as an interesting idea...)

Like everybody's said, glad you've got a plan in place!  Have fun with this.  Seriously.  I know renovations are a source of anxiety/anguish/expense/frustration, but find a way to have some fun with this, and you'll appreciate it even more.

Pretty close to what I was wanting to make. You are almost reading my mind. To give you my exact vision that I have, here is what I can come up with in writing. I want it to be made of clear maple, under-mount rectangular sink in a stone top, brushed nickel hardware. The style of the vanity is shaker-ish. Top will be a false drawer front to cover plumbing, middle will be open, making an open shelf, then on the bottom there will be a drawer. The drawer fronts will be a shaker raised panel. No curves, frills, or anything like that. I like simplistic - and most would probably call boring :)

Basically, I thought I would carry the look of the under-mount rectangular sink throughout the bathroom. I am making the doors and drawers follow the pattern.

• Like 1