HELP! Danish Oil Disaster

Beth Rugan Shepard

I just wanted to mention that English is my third language and although I learned it pretty well, I still have bad translation situation due to cultural differences. 

I'm here to learn from everyone and not to insult anyone in any way. I would never want nor have the intention to do such thing.

Thank you all. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

For a third language, you manage english amazingly well. Of course, this is coming from someone who barely speaks it as a first ( and only ) language!

To hazard a guess from your syntax, I'd say you learned english of the British variety, rather than North American. Correct?

I actually learned my English from a variety of areas of the world. I was born and raised Northern Africa until the age of 16 and I was lucky enough to have a father who sent me to travel to other  countries around the world as he wanted me to learn about different cultures and traditions. Eventually he signed me up in a student exchange program were I got accepted to live with a lovely family in Grand Rapid MI. To keep the story short, I kept moving and exploring different cities after that until 2005 where I accidentally ended up in the Beautiful San Francisco, CA and I've been living here since. 

When I arrived to the US, the first thing I did was eliminating any languages other than English from my phone, computer etc. in addition I have to admit that tv shows like the Simpsons or Family guy really helped out a lot with learning (although I didn't necessarily understand what they meant at the time)

So as you could imagine, I have a quite unique accent and knowledge from all the places I lived at in this country and I couldn't be more grateful and thankful for the opportunity I had and the life experience I'm living today. 

• Like 1

Thank you Chet K. 

Yes I still live in SF. I got very interested in woodworking not too long ago (about a year and a half) and since then I've been studying, taking classes, consulting professional, watching reputable YouTube channels etc. 

In my understanding, it would take many years of practice to become a decent woodworker, which I'm fully committed to. However, there's another challenge that I'm working on at the moment and I would love to here your and other people opinions about;

(This probably should be posted in a different section, so I do apologize in advance for any misplacement of posting)

As you know, the Bay Area is getting more and more populated, and the rent prices are skyrocketing, especially here in SF. With that said, the availability of space is very limited. 

At first it was a big downer for me and I felt that it's almost impossible to keep up with woodworking but then I took a different approach to the situation and took it as challenge to figure out how to make  it possible (for my particular situation at least). 

I'm still figuring out how to use this site properly, I'll be happy then to share what I've been doing for better understanding.

The following were some my primary questions to the space limitation situation I had to tackle:

- How can I use my space properly?

- Which equipment are important to have than others?

- Can I use air space safely and properly?

- Is it possible to create a multi functional and mobile station while keeping everything organized?

Thanks again and looking forward to contribute and find some good results in the near future and hopefully inspire space limited others to learn about woodworking. 

Maybe a good first step for you would be to check this place out SF Techshop  They have classes and a pretty well set up wood shop.  Going to a place like this will give you an opportunity to get started in woodworking with out having to invest in tools, learn what type of stuff you would like to build and the tools needed.  Also you will have direct contact with others with the same interests.  Places like this can be great for people with little or no space to still be able to get into and enjoy the hobby of woodworking.

Also if you are not sure where on the forum here to post a subject, just start by posting under General Woodworking Talk.

16 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Maybe a good first step for you would be to check this place out SF Techshop  They have classes and a pretty well set up wood shop.  Going to a place like this will give you an opportunity to get started in woodworking with out having to invest in tools, learn what type of stuff you would like to build and the tools needed.  Also you will have direct contact with others with the same interests.  Places like this can be great for people with little or no space to still be able to get into and enjoy the hobby of woodworking.

Also if you are not sure where on the forum here to post a subject, just start by posting under General Woodworking Talk.

I sure did :)

i just got an email back saying that im qualified to take the assessment test which I'll be taking this week. I'm also waiting for other city college classes to  open up again for sign up. 

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

To hazard a guess from your syntax, I'd say you learned english of the British variety, rather than North American. Correct?

Specifically American.  We have about ten or fifteen smart people in this country.  The rest of us are a bunch of mouth breathers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm brand new to the forumn, but had my question answered on this thread. Thanks everyone! 

And kiwi, by reading your first couple posts I guessed SA - one of my closest friend is from there and English is also her third language. She speaks just like you type! 

Happy woodworking!