Faces

wouldwurker

Ha!

I like his guitar playing...especially in the movie 'Dead Man'.

This is payback for your David Gilmore singing comment.

I didn't say anything about his singing...I said he couldn't write a meaningful song to save his life.  Don't have a problem with his voice, just his lyrics.

Kev, you're banned.  And I take back any compliment I've ever given you. LOL

You guys are nuts.  Neil is one of the heaviest of them all.  Not quite in the same universe as Dylan...no one is...but he's close.  Get over the voice and dig deep.

Graham Nash tells a funny story about Neil Young.

Graham was visiting at Neil's place out by the pond and Neil offered to play a recording of his latest work (Harvest).

Graham surely wants to hear it and says so.

Neil tells him "Get in the boat."

So they paddle out in the pond with Graham thinking Neil has a cassette tape or something.

Neil has an assistant on shore start the music.

Neil had installed huge speakers in his house and the various outbuildings on his property.

His music comes pouring out at high decibels.

The assistant yells out "How's that Neil?"

And Neil Young replied; "It needs more Barn!!"

• Like 1

Graham Nash tells a funny story about Neil Young.

Graham was visiting at Neil's place out by the pond and Neil offered to play a recording of his latest work (Harvest).

Graham surely wants to hear it and says so.

Neil tells him "Get in the boat."

So they paddle out in the pond with Graham thinking Neil has a cassette tape or something.

Neil has an assistant on shore start the music.

Neil had installed huge speakers in his house and the various outbuildings on his property.

His music comes pouring out at high decibels.

The assistant yells out "How's that Neil?"

And Neil Young replied; "It needs more Barn!!"

I've heard that story.  To add on to it, Graham Nash later wrote a song called "Cowboy of Dreams" about Neil.  And a couple of the lines in it are:

So I went to the country to look up a friend

Cause I heard that the house and the barn had a blend

I'm impressed that you know that story.  I wouldn't have if it wasn't for my old man.  No pun intended. :)

I've heard that story.  To add on to it, Graham Nash later wrote a song called "Cowboy of Dreams" about Neil.  And a couple of the lines in it are:

So I went to the country to look up a friend

Cause I heard that the house and the barn had a blend

I'm impressed that you know that story.  I wouldn't have if it wasn't for my old man.  No pun intended. :)

Not too long ago Graham Nash (re)told the Barn tale on an interview with Terry Gross.

He recently published an auto-bio called "Wild Tales."

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/15/234683906/graham-nash-has-wild-tales-to-spare

It was an interesting interview; well worth listening to in your spare time.

(Naturally, he tells the story better than I)

Dave

Did Neil Young ever play a song with more than three chords? There's a reason so much of his stuff shows up in "Guitar for Dummies" type books.

Back to the blues. BB King, anyone?

And has anyone ever heard of Sonny Boy Williamson? Native of the same town I live in. Visited his grave-site once, took two visits to find it the old kudzu-covered cemetary.

Sonny Boy is credited with bringing the harmonica to the Chicago blues scene, circa 1930 or so.

Did Neil Young ever play a song with more than three chords? There's a reason so much of his stuff shows up in "Guitar for Dummies" type books.

Back to the blues. BB King, anyone?

And has anyone ever heard of Sonny Boy Williamson? Native of the same town I live in. Visited his grave-site once, took two visits to find it the old kudzu-covered cemetary.

Sonny Boy is credited with bringing the harmonica to the Chicago blues scene, circa 1930 or so.

I was laughing hard at the Neil Young comment until you went from that to the blues  ;)   That's all 3 chord stuff..

Sonny Boy is credited by most of the blues greats.