PM66, 3-Phase, Need Help!

Michael Sloop

Your call. If you have an industrial market nearby, three phase scares the average person. Those machines will go for relatively little cost by comparison. One other three phase tool or two and the rotary converter will be a big plus. I see the random three phase pattern jointer pop up here and drool. If you just want to stay away from three phase, any cost will just be peace of mind that you can plug and play.

I am making an assumption here, but my guess is that this rotary converter 'control panel' is nothing more than a way to automatically start the 'idler ' rotating. I know some folks that simply use an unloaded 3-phase motor as a converter, but use a pull rope to start it spinning as they apply power. This so-called 'idler motor' acts as a rotary transformer to generate the third leg of the 3-phase system. There is probably some safety protection circuitry as well, but the idler motor is really doing the phase conversion.

wtnhighlander is correct. 

The part that phase craft is selling is just a control panel. Basically a bunch of circuits. They are not selling a motor of any type. Instead you need to supply your own motor to generate your 3 phase power. You can build your own control panel with a bit of patience, some supplies and online plans. Or buy this other one.

It looks like ebay commonly sells baldor 5hp single phase motors for under 400 dollars. Probably still the easiest way to go. Just search for the same frame and rpm.

Ok, so I talked to a couple motor shops and the motor frame for the PM66 was designed only for the PM66. So, my options are to buy the specific motor (~$800), buy another similar motor and try to rig up a good connection (~$500 for a new, similar motor), or a rotary converter and idler motor ($200 + $150 = $350).

I'm leaning towards the converter. I don't like the idea of having to run the converter every time I run the saw, but I do like it gives me the opportunity to own other 3 phase equipment.

Shaffer, I have figured out that they make a type of converter that includes the motor. So, I think we were both right!

There are some cheaper single phase motors out there. For example, I google searched the frame and it looks like a 145TC frame which is used for other systems.

Here is a new Leeson 5hp for under 400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HP-3450-RPM-145TC-230V-Woodworkers-Dust-Collector-Electric-Motor-120554C-/400342556275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d36469e73

There are plenty of motors at lesser HP which unless you are running larger then 20 amp circuits is probably advisable. This motor operates at 20.8 amps at 230 volts so it will blow a 20 amp circuit some of the time.