lathe stand size

duckkisser

im going to build a stand for my lathe it will be around 5 feet long.  and I was planning on installing several shallow drawers around 3-4 inches deep for tool storage.   the footprint for my lathe is a little under 5 feet by 1 foot.  so is it silly for me to make it that thin to save floor space or would I be better off making it wider like closer to 2 feet for stability and weight? this will be mostly for smaller tools like squares, measuring tools, chucks, wrenches, sockets, ect..... oh I plan on using plane wood runners instead of buying any complicated expensive drawer slides so I don't want to make the drawers to large or heavy.  

something like this but not so nice looking and without the metal lathe on top  :) these are some images I pulled off the web but I want to have something similar in my shop.

[url=http://s685.photobucket.com/user/jayeekayoh/media/practicalmachinist/2009-01-2311-43-38_0101_resize.jpg.html]2009-01-2311-43-38_0101_resize.jpg[/url

workbench-drawers-open.jpg

sweet steve that sounds like a good deal.  can you let me know how many you got and how much they weigh? even if you can weigh two of them.  Then I can figure out if the cost of the shipping to Illinois is worth it for me.  might be cheaper to buy from menards for like 5$ dollars a set.  I am setting up a shop and my friend is setting up a art studio in his basement so I might be able to unload some to him.

how do you rarely use them? are they on something like a work bench with drawers? or are they just stacked on a shelf?

im going to need 117 drawers in the shop probably over kill but I don't realy want anything hanging on the wall except above my carving bench with my carving tools and hand tools.  I was just going to use wood slides but then you showed up.  if that is too many let me know how many you will send me.

i plan on making a base for every one of my machines and using the space underneath for storage. building a bench for lathe and all the accessories, bench in the middle of the room for assembly/behind my table saw, each one of those will have 20 drawers since there going to be 10ft long. drawers under drill press, drum sander, router table for all the bits ect... lapidary equipment cabinet, eventuly i want to do black smithing so ill build a cabinet for storage of those specific tools.  

this wont be for a kitchen this will be the shop storage as well as all the home items that ill have to store in the garage like light bulbs and the like.  i was planing on doing one cabinet at a time and buying the needed supplies including the drawer slides but if your willing to get rid of them to me then i will take them.  ill probably end up with cabinets all along one wall 20ft and around 10ft on the other as well as a few floating tool stands like drum sander stand. and i dont want deep drawers since i know ill just fill them and then wont be able to find anything.   i figure it will take me 10 years to build my shop out completely.