The Wood Whisperer Effect

Ben H

FYI guys. I placed my order for the xmas router bowls from America Eagle last week. The box showed up today, and one of my templates is on back order. :(

I called them to find out when they should be back in stock. End of November. I was told they have been bombarded with orders for these things. Looks like Marc is following in the shoes of Oprah. ;)

So if you are tossing around the idea of a few of these for presents. Don't drag your feet or you might not get one in time. Oh yeah, all the bearing bits are now out of stock as well.

Last year I got the EA catalog and on the cover was the 5-bit picture framing set at a really nice price. I checked the next day online and they were back-ordered and expected in stock Dec 26 :) "In stock" doesn't mean shipped or at my door either! Guess we could have done Kings' Day instead of Christmas that year. That same set is on this year and I may order it (I'm a sucker for interesting profiles to piece together) but it won't be relied on for presents!

Just make up the pattern from a picture; if you have other patterns, you'll have a general idea of the width of sides, etc. Dunno, might be fun. Try it and let us know, k? :)

I just checked our affiliate area and holy crap! There are a lot of templates and bit sets in there. I see a lot of folks apparently like the idea of the bowl, but went for the holiday bowls instead. After all, the "holiday season" is significantly longer and you can have the bowl on display the entire season. The Halloween bowl is only out for what, a week? Makes me wish I did a few Christmas ones instead, lol. Well, glad to see the response. Ultimately, this is what keeps companies interested in advertising/sponsoring us.

yeah, I was at Rockler the other day for something completely unrelated, but as I walked by the router bit section, that video instantly popped into my head, and if they had had the bit, it would have gone instantly into my basket. Your videos are worse than point-of-purchase displays of candy at the checkout line when you're hungry!

But of course they didn't have it. I'm guessing it's an Eagle exclusive or something? Luckily I'm not relying on it for christmas, but the project looked so fun that it's definitely on my list. I'll try to hold off on my order though so I don't make the rest of you wait ;)

I was at Stan Houston about a month ago and I saw that CMT makes the bits as well, they were out of the 1/2" shank and I had already spent more that I had planned so I passed on it. I will just make them with a corebox bit and guide bushing but promise next year I will buy a new bit. I am going to make my own templates, is anybody else? I guess nothing says the holiday season is coming like sawdust and smiles!

Nate

Well, I screwed up and ordered the wrong bit from EA. My first time getting anything from them, I called to get a RA number to send it back, but they are out of stock on bearing versions. So...... Ruth (I think her name was) suggested I buy a stop collar and bearing kit and convert my new bit to a bearing style. She asked if I had another bit that I could snatch the bearing and collor off of. I did have a cheap Woodcraft 3/4 pattern bit on hand. I checked and it did fit perfect. So no need to send it back now :D

Moral of the story: If you have a bearing and collar, you can get one of there non bearing bits and make it work. Also, I did order the extension bit. This thing is big, I'd have to measure it, but I'd guess the top locking nut it someone in the 1 1/4 range....so unless you get a BIG bowl/tray bit, it's not going to work.

Well, I screwed up and ordered the wrong bit from EA. My first time getting anything from them, I called to get a RA number to send it back, but they are out of stock on bearing versions. So...... Ruth (I think her name was) suggested I buy a stop collar and bearing kit and convert my new bit to a bearing style. She asked if I had another bit that I could snatch the bearing and collor off of. I did have a cheap Woodcraft 3/4 pattern bit on hand. I checked and it did fit perfect. So no need to send it back now :D

Moral of the story: If you have a bearing and collar, you can get one of there non bearing bits and make it work. Also, I did order the extension bit. This thing is big, I'd have to measure it, but I'd guess the top locking nut it someone in the 1 1/4 range....so unless you get a BIG bowl/tray bit, it's not going to work.

yeah that's what I found with the collet extension. Not very useful if your bit is a smaller diameter than the extension itself.