Woodpeckers Framing square

wdwerker

i just got an email that they are making another batch of this " one time tool"

I have had mine now for a year and it is awesome. Great for checking panel squareness . Also very useful as a layout tool.

When you think of the cost of a pile of panels for a project only to find out that each part is a little out of square the price seems more reasonable. I checked 6 steel framing squares against it and only one was accurate.

Agggrrrhrhrrh.  I really want one but am really balking at the price.  I think I can swallow 150 bucks for the smaller one, but I'd prefer the larger one and 190 is a big pill to swallow for a framing square.  

Steve, I assume you have the larger one?  Or did you get both?

I just got the big one. I bought a stainless framing square for about $60 years ago and it wasn't any better than the regular steel ones.

It's one of those purchases that you hesitate on but once you've got it it becomes the master reference tool for squareness in the shop.

I use it to set up my sliding crosscut tablesaw fence and lock it down when the cuts come out perfect .

I just placed a purchase for the large one. Yeah, the price was a lot and it was really hard pulling the trigger but I have several other items from them and have been very pleased with them. I look at it as a long term purchase. Divided out over 10 years, it is only 20 bucks a year. I expect it to last me a lot longer than that. 

Steel would be better, but then you'd be looking at $300 instead of $150. :unsure:

I'm still waiting for Peckers to make a 48" square, then I buy.  I have a 24" T, so I don't know how much I'd really gain.  Tempted, though.  I'm a sucker for the red aluminum.

Did I post the same comment in another thread, or am I losing my mind?

I seriously doubt steel would be any more ridgid, but maybe harder to dent/scratch? It would certainly be heavier, though, and prone to rust.

I wonder if you can fix the aluminum square. The steel squares get a bad rep I think mostly because folks don't know you can easily fix them and if your nice to them they will stay that way permanantly. I do like the "cheeks" on this one its a great idea. I'd be tempted to try and add the feature to a $8 steel square. 

I wonder if you can fix the aluminum square. The steel squares get a bad rep I think mostly because folks don't know you can easily fix them and if your nice to them they will stay that way permanantly. I do like the "cheeks" on this one its a great idea. I'd be tempted to try and add the feature to a $8 steel square.

I dunno. I've tried 'truing' a steel framing square, but without success. I used the method of peening the corner with a center punch, picked up from Norm, I think. You have a better way, PB?

I dunno. I've tried 'truing' a steel framing square, but without success. I used the method of peening the corner with a center punch, picked up from Norm, I think. You have a better way, PB?

It only works if your about 1/16 out max. You want to use this method with a cut square not a stamped square. A stamped square will already be maxed out. 

I recently fixed 2 framing square by peening the corners. Used a nail as I didn't have a center punch handy. Was surprised how well it worked. They were out less than a sixteenth.

- sent via Tapatalk

Ya my experience also been doing it for decades. You can also adjust a cheap combo square to be as accurate as a Starrett. There are two pads down in the slot. You file one or the other to adjust the blade the direction it needs to go.

• Like 1