New to woodworking - Setting up shop

adkinsjd

I am in the process of converting my garage into a wood shop. I have have been able to find several good lists to help me determine a purchase order for power tools. I have a table saw and a router already (granted I have yet to get power ran out there....). As Christmas is approaching, I'm looking for ideas for the smaller items in the shop. I don't expect my in-laws to buy me a dust collector, but a pocket hole jig is more reasonable.

What are the the smaller ticket items that get a lot of use in your shop?

I wish i could turn my 3 car garage into a shop...wife would kill me..lol I'm limited at the moment to a single bay. I know the feeling Brett. I have CMS and stand, small bandsaw, scrollsaw, router, just got a good deal on the ridgid jointer at HD. 16" Combo square, long ruler, .5mm mechanical pencils...several drills..hand me down small plane..wish i had a #7..lol

I'm fixing to get the Ridgid planer...figured..for me to get started in this house and the given space...i needed a jointer and planer...already learned that starting with wood that's not straight is pointless.

Got an huge Snap On tool chest I'm using as a workbench for now. Not sure if you have by you but Harbor Freight has a sale on their 2 HP DC..around $139.

Granted...this stuff isn't powermatic or grizzly but i'm just getting started, have limited space, and don't have 220...

Mike

respirator because it doesn't take to many times of having the feeling of a lungs full of sand to make you go buy one yourself.

Clamps even cheap clamps from HF work fine and can never have to many.

Clamp and tool guide The HF one works fine also no need for no expensive one.

Block plane comes in handy a lot for me.

Blue Painters Tape yeah.

Cheap set of chisels (knock a rounds as they call them

well thats all i can think of for now, if i think of more stuff ill post them to.

You didnt say if you had any power sanders or not but if you dont you could also ask them to get the porter cable ROS from lowes its about 40 dollars and it works well i wouldn't get the harbor freight ROS i tried one it lasted about an hour before the break system screwed up and i had a hand held grinder it was spinning so fast.

I am in the process of converting my garage into a wood shop. I have have been able to find several good lists to help me determine a purchase order for power tools. I have a table saw and a router already (granted I have yet to get power ran out there....). As Christmas is approaching, I'm looking for ideas for the smaller items in the shop. I don't expect my in-laws to buy me a dust collector, but a pocket hole jig is more reasonable.

What are the the smaller ticket items that get a lot of use in your shop?

A good chisel, an oil stone for sharpening, a stanly 060 1/2 low angle block plane, and a porter cable hand sander , and some sand paper.

I also live in a third bay. One of the best things I did was to put in a wood floor. I did this by laying out 2x4 sleepers 16" on center and screwing them together then using composite shims and construction adhesive the get everything flat. Then I put 3/4" t&g plywood over and screwed it the sleepers. It is not attached to the concrete so it can come out if I ever need to sell the house. It did wonders for my back and has been great to work on. For a little money before you start it has a great return.

-Gary