Setting up shop!

shaneymack

Hi All,

Long time reader/lurker- first time poster!

I used to have a shop in my single car garage for about 8 years. About 3 years ago i thought it would be a good idea to sell everything since i wasn't doing much woodworking at the time and my wife was pregnant with our second child it didnt seem like more time for woodworking was on the horizon. What a dumbass idea thar was. I have been listening to woodworking podcasts, reading every forum and daydreaming of woodworking everyday since.

Sooooo, now that my wife is pregnant with our fourth child i figured no better time than now to start over!! Lol! For the record my wife agrees and is very supportive.

So far i have received one shipment of festool stuff on Thursday ( kapex, ug extensions, mft kapex, cxs drill, ct26, of1010 router, ts55 req track saw with 55" rail and 118" rail some clamps, storage systainer with the toolie and a bunch of centrotec bits) and the stuff is awesome. Its my first experience with festool!

Friday i received and installed my dust collector. Its an oneida v3000 v system. I installed it yesterday and ducts will be installed in the next week or 2 hopefully!

This upcoming week i should receive a supermax 1938 sander and a laguna lt18 3000 bandsaw!!

The week after the electrician should be here and i should get my sawstop pro 3hp. 52" rails

And Feb 27 I should get powermatic 15hh planer, pj882hh jointer and the 719t mortiser and general int. Router table 40-200c. I need to wait to pay for these and have them delivered because powermatic is having a 15 pecent sale starting the 27th that i want to take advantage of.

Since i have been living vicariously through all of you and drooling over the awesome shops and tools i figured i would post this and my progress! Who knows maybe i will inspire soneone else to stop reading and watching youtube and get back into this amazing craft!!!

Here are some pics of the empty garage starting to get tooled!! Im pretty excited!

Shane

post-16857-142333172434_thumb.jpg

post-16857-14233317324_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess you take the ole adage "Go big or go home" pretty seriously. That is a bunch of nice stuff, can't wait till you get to do some building

lol! My wife and i have been discussing and planning this for a long time. The budget did kinda double in the last month but i guess thats life. We figure its better to bite the bullet now than to have  to sell and upgrade later. I did that the first time around. I bought everything and then upgraded everything within a few years, this time that won't happen. I am buying tools for life this time!! 

• Like 1

I dabble in too much stuff to have top end in everything, but I like good tools…

Well this is definitely my main hobby. Probably more than hobby. I am a journeyman carpenter by trade but have been moved into a superintendent role years back so i dont get to do what i love. So having a shop will put me back in touch with my love of wood!!

I also want to pass the craft onto my kids. I kinda feel like in the age of automation, chinese labour and instant gratification its a dying art. So i feel the expense is justified.

Hi Shane. Your machines will be with you a very long time, smart move buying well this time round. I look forward to watching the progress of your shop!

First thing, i enjoy watching your youtube videos!

Thanks for the encouragement, i will definitely post all progress on here!

• Like 1

We're pretty much on the same page execpt I was a masonry superintendent ( and my kids are grown)'for a very large GC turned in the truck, the cards and phone and went back to work with the tools, after 27 plus years I pretty much only do what I want.

Glad to too hear you know what your in for with a leap like you have taken.

So i just cancelled my order for the Powermatic 719t mortiser and ordered a domino df700 with the seneca adapter instead. After much hard thought i realised that there isnt much that the domino cant do that the mortiser would and it can do more. I just didnt want to get the mortiser and have it sitting there collecting dust once i bought a domino. I figure if I really need a mortiser in the future ( cant imagine why) I could get one then. What do you think? For all you that use both is this a wise choice?

So i just cancelled my order for the Powermatic 719t mortiser and ordered a domino df700 with the seneca adapter instead. After much hard thought i realised that there isnt much that the domino cant do that the mortiser would and it can do more. I just didnt want to get the mortiser and have it sitting there collecting dust once i bought a domino. I figure if I really need a mortiser in the future ( cant imagine why) I could get one then. What do you think? For all you that use both is this a wise choice?

Since its your money I'd skip the dominos and buy the Richline machines. But really I'd prefer a slot mortiser over the domino.

Gotta say I'm a fan of the domino but find the 700 a little large for most applications I have. If I was building entrance doors or the like, yes, the 700. I love the 500 because it will let me use the 4mm dominos easily rather than the massive relative bulk the 700 would have with the converter fitted. You will find a lot of glues these days claim to be stronger than the timber they are joining so I question if I need to make the mechanical joint as strong.

Gotta say I'm a fan of the domino but find the 700 a little large for most applications I have. If I was building entrance doors or the like, yes, the 700. I love the 500 because it will let me use the 4mm dominos easily rather than the massive relative bulk the 700 would have with the converter fitted. You will find a lot of glues these days claim to be stronger than the timber they are joining so I question if I need to make the mechanical joint as strong.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I went with the 700 with the adaptor so i could have the whole range of both dominos in one. I guess the downside like you are saying is the size. I have also heard from some people that they prefer working with the mass of the 700. I guess i will find out for myslef. I am not normally someone that is bothered by having the bigger more combersome tool or anything for that matter....the bigger the bettter! I am sure that sentiment will fade as i age and my testosterone levels start to drop...lol

Either way, i am stuck with this decision as the 700 should arrive tomorrow and i really cant afford both!

Sounds like you're going to have an awesome shop. What are you running for your dust collection ducting?

Keeps the pictures coming!

My hvac guy should be coming this week to check it out. Prob 22g 6" mains with 5" drops to 5" flex to the machine. 5-4 reducer directly on the machine.

I should get the domino tomorrow and hopefully the bandsaw and supermax this week! Pics will keep coming for sure!!

Congrats on the new shop and the new kid! I have four kids myself.

How are you keeping your garage shop comfortable in the winter?

Thanks! Im sure your 4 kids keep you busy. I am looking forward to it!

This is what i am heating with. It is a Stelpro Dragon 5000w ceiling heater. Works great.post-16857-142353412377_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How well does it collect dust from your drum sander?

How big is your shop? It looks enormous compared to my teeny tiny space!

It seems to collect from the drum sander very well from what I can tell as I see no visible dust. With the top open it sucks the dust and rubber boogers right up it when cleaning with a stick.

My shop is 30x40.

It seems to collect from the drum sander very well from what I can tell as I see no visible dust. With the top open it sucks the dust and rubber boogers right up it when cleaning with a stick.

My shop is 30x40.

30x40!!! Thats insane! Is that a hobby shop? I was thinking of building an outbuilding but with the ridiculous amount of money it took to tool an entire shop from scratch that idea got nixed. So i have to deal with the 15.5x 25.5 shop. Atleast it will be well equipped!