Setting up shop!

shaneymack

My dealer. Thats why i am waiting for delivery on the 27th.

Gentmantel and sons in Montreal is my dealer

Okay, cool.  I've been patiently waiting for the next sale so I'm happy to hear one is around the corner.  Guess I'll be saying buh-bye to more of my money on the 27th.

Its the lt18 3000 by laguna. Just realised its from China. Thought it was made in Taiwan....darn. Hope i didnt buy a piece of garbage.....

Do you think 10 thousands on the table is acceptable? What is generally accepted tolerances?

attachicon.gifrps20150214_114319.jpg

I wouldn't get in a twist over a bandsaw table being slightly out of flat.  It's not a machine that you need dead nuts precision on.  Neither of my bandsaw tables are dead flat and I've never encountered a situation where it would matter.  It's not the sole of a plane.

Okay, cool. I've been patiently waiting for the next sale so I'm happy to hear one is around the corner. Guess I'll be saying buh-bye to more of my money on the 27th.

I wouldn't get in a twist over a bandsaw table being slightly out of flat. It's not a machine that you need dead nuts precision on. Neither of my bandsaw tables are dead flat and I've never encountered a situation where it would matter. It's not the sole of a plane.

Lots and lots of money goes bye bye very quickly when buying powermatic. ...

Be careful!

So i got a response from lagunas director of sales for Canada. He said they can send me a throat plate and new motor covers (both were banged up). He said the fact that the table is out 10 thousandths is possibly that it was tightened down too much. I un tightened it and checked again. Same result. He said he can give me touch up paint for the wheels and for the base but only send me it in the summer due to it being to cold to ship. He said that these damaged were done during shipping. I told him there was no way that the shipping banged up the wheels that way-there are behind the doors!! The table was in a separate box which didn't have a scratch on it but once I took it out of the box i saw the damage. I told him that this was clearly done at their factory and was poor quality control. Lets call a spade a spade and not make excuses... he said he could offer me a resaw king blade or a mobile base as compensation. 

I responded that there is no way that i can live with a brand new table that is dinged, scratched and crooked out of the box. I told him the only accessory i need it the driftmaster fence....no response yet.

What would your response be to this? 

So i got a response from lagunas director of sales for Canada. He said they can send me a throat plate and new motor covers (both were banged up). He said the fact that the table is out 10 thousandths is possibly that it was tightened down too much. I un tightened it and checked again. Same result. He said he can give me touch up paint for the wheels and for the base but only send me it in the summer due to it being to cold to ship. He said that these damaged were done during shipping. I told him there was no way that the shipping banged up the wheels that way-there are behind the doors!! The table was in a separate box which didn't have a scratch on it but once I took it out of the box i saw the damage. I told him that this was clearly done at their factory and was poor quality control. Lets call a spade a spade and not make excuses... he said he could offer me a resaw king blade or a mobile base as compensation.

I responded that there is no way that i can live with a brand new table that is dinged, scratched and crooked out of the box. I told him the only accessory i need it the driftmaster fence....no response yet.

What would your response be to this?

Can you return it at their expense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you return it at their expense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He definitely didnt give me that as an option. Im not sure legally what my options are. I do really want this saw. I think it is a great machine. I am just skeptical of this machine due to the shotty condition it arrived in. I think this guy is willing to work with me. I just foind it weird that in his email back to me he didnt mention that they would exchange the table. He only mentioned the throat plate and the motor covers.

It's hard to swallow a beat up new machine...but let's face it - it's purely cosmetic aside from the table flatness, which is essentially moot on a bandsaw since it's generally a rough-cutting machine.  I'd tune it up and try to resaw some thin veneers...if you can get that done with acceptable results then the table is fine.  Then I'd grab that Resaw King and run like hell...it's like a 200-300 dollar blade.

He definitely didnt give me that as an option. Im not sure legally what my options are. I do really want this saw. I think it is a great machine. I am just skeptical of this machine due to the shotty condition it arrived in. I think this guy is willing to work with me. I just foind it weird that in his email back to me he didnt mention that they would exchange the table. He only mentioned the throat plate and the motor covers.

Im sure they are just trying to make you happy with what they have in stock at their service center. Laguna is just like Grizzly they don't stock nor can they even get some of the non wearing parts.

It's hard to swallow a beat up new machine...but let's face it - it's purely cosmetic aside from the table flatness, which is essentially moot on a bandsaw since it's generally a rough-cutting machine. I'd tune it up and try to resaw some thin veneers...if you can get that done with acceptable results then the table is fine. Then I'd grab that Resaw King and run like hell...it's like a 200-300 dollar blade.

I agree with you eric. I am just worried that due to the cosmetic damage there may be underlying issues with this machine.

I think if you have more than just cosmetic damage it would surface pretty quickly. That said you are totally in the right to want a new top even if it's just cosmetic. Some huge dings AND out of flatness are unacceptable on a $2300 machine and I know how it can knock down your new tool high. My Grizzly cyclone had a forklift into the motor housing and scratched the paint. Grizzly offered a nice gift certificate if I kept it, and since it was going to be hidden against the wall, I was happy. 

My UniSaw has a slight surface flaw that was filled with some sort of metal filler, been that way for over 30 years.

Maybe you could loosen one corner and shim the top flat?

Irs actually a hump in the middle. Dont think there is a fix.

I spoke with the director of sales for laguna canada this morning and he said he will find me a table. We are just working on what the compensation will be.

So everything has been resolved with Laguna. They are giving me a driftmaster fence and changing the throat plate and the motor covers that were damaged. As for the cast iron table, i have to live with that if im accepting the driftmaster. I think it is a very fair offer.

Sooooooo, the shop continues to come together. Getting closer to being able to actually build! Received another festool shipment today....i promised my sponsor its the last one!! Lol

Sawstop is coming tomorrow morning! So excited!

post-16857-142438059292_thumb.jpg

What SawStop did you get? The manual is awesome for assembling the saw. The only manuals I've found that are better are for Leigh Jigs.

The pro 3hp 52" with the mobile base and the overdlhead dust collection. I ordered it just in time because the price of the saw i bought is now 417$ due to the cdn dollar tanking. I watched videos on youtube of people assembling it and it looks pretty impressive how it is packaged. I cant wait to put her together!