Setting up shop!

shaneymack

Congrats on the new "shop".

Holy Frick, are you Made out of money??

Huh? Not at all. I have a very good job but am far from rich or even well off, especially with four children!! 

Do you ask everyone that with a decent set of tools in their shops? There seems to be guys on here with bigger shops and bigger tools than me.....

FYI, I've used the cheap big box hvac metal pipe in my system before and had no issues with it collapsing. I'm only running the HF system, but I've run it with all gates closed and it never did anything.

I'm sure there is a point where the motor on the collector is too big, but as long as you have a gate open id be surprised if you collapse any metal pipe with a hobby level system.

FYI, I've used the cheap big box hvac metal pipe in my system before and had no issues with it collapsing. I'm only running the HF system, but I've run it with all gates closed and it never did anything.

I'm sure there is a point where the motor on the collector is too big, but as long as you have a gate open id be surprised if you collapse any metal pipe with a hobby level system.

Mine lasted all of about 3 minutes with the cheep duct work. Scared the crap out me. :)

Huh? Not at all. I have a very good job but am far from rich or even well off, especially with four children!!

Do you ask everyone that with a decent set of tools in their shops? There seems to be guys on here with bigger shops and bigger tools than me.....

All in fun. Didn't mean anything by it. But, I couldn't imagine doing it, simply because I can't afford it. Serious I'm happy for youand glad you can get back into woodworking.

I don't think he's being nasty about it. Some guys are a little awe-struck watching another guy drop 20 grand on tools in a month when they save and struggle for every tool they buy. "Rich" is relative.[/quote

Exactly it. I don't mean anything bad by my comment, I'm thrilled for him and jealous as all get out. Lol

Its an unwritten law, "He who dies with the most toys wins"

I'm up for it!

That only pertains to frivolous, unnecessary, unproductive stuff. anything used to make or build stuff is classified as "necessary" at least thats the card I play.

• Like 1

All in fun. Didn't mean anything by it. But, I couldn't imagine doing it, simply because I can't afford it. Serious I'm happy for youand glad you can get back into woodworking.

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely not my intention to make anyone feel jelous by posting. I think i mentioned in my original post that i used to follow the posts on here with guys building and equipping their shops and it inspired me to want to get back into woodworking and do the same. I never felt bad or jelous so I never thought i would make someone feel that way by posting this stuff. I told myself that i would make it happen. I figured out a way to do it and now im doing it. I hope guys have fun following this thread and maybe inspire someone else to get back into it like i did.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely not my intention to make anyone feel jelous by posting. I think i mentioned in my original post that i used to follow the posts on here with guys building and equipping their shops and it inspired me to want to get back into woodworking and do the same. I never felt bad or jelous so I never thought i would make someone feel that way by posting this stuff. I told myself that i would make it happen. I figured out a way to do it and now im doing it. I hope guys have fun following this thread and maybe inspire someone else to get back into it like i did.

It's super easy to just be browsing on this forum and come across a thread like this one and, not knowing the person and the backstory and not having all of the facts. The months or even years of saving and sacrificing to be able to buy the tools.

Yeah, most people accumulate tools over a long period of time, so when we encounter someone who does it differently and buys all of his tools in a short amount of time, we immediately think he or she must have a lot of money.

Most days, I love seeing other shops and all of the toys they have. Mainly looking at their setup and workflow for ideas for my own small shop. But when I am having a bad day with one of my tools, the last thing I want to look at is someone's shop tour with the latest new toys.

Today is a good day.

• Like 1

Reveived my mini mite 3....or did it? Check out these photos. Something missing?post-16857-142556521896_thumb.jpgpost-16857-14255652243_thumb.jpg

So thats what i received in the boxes. No turbine, no gun. I realised they musy have made a mistake and sent me their floor model box. I called the store and explained and they were very apologetic and sent me the machine and gun. No harm done, funny story. Should receive it tomorrow!

Reveived my mini mite 3....or did it? Check out these photos. Something missing?attachicon.gifrps20150305_091753.jpgattachicon.gifrps20150305_091735.jpg

So thats what i received in the boxes. No turbine, no gun. I realised they musy have made a mistake and sent me their floor model box. I called the store and explained and they were very apologetic and sent me the machine and gun. No harm done, funny story. Should receive it tomorrow!

Too funny. It's the deluxe invisa-model!

• Like 1

Reveived my mini mite 3....or did it? Check out these photos. Something missing?attachicon.gifrps20150305_091753.jpgattachicon.gifrps20150305_091735.jpg

Yea I think they most important parts are missing. 

MM3 should have the turbine, gun, hose, 2 viscosity cups, wrench, book, cleaning brush and power cable.

The company I bought my Mini Mite 4 from also sent me some filters, micromesh pads, 17 piece cleaning kit. Where'd you buy from?

Yea I think they most important parts are missing.

MM3 should have the turbine, gun, hose, 2 viscosity cups, wrench, book, cleaning brush and power cable.

The company I bought my Mini Mite 4 from also sent me some filters, micromesh pads, 17 piece cleaning kit. Where'd you buy from?

I bought from welbeck sawmill in ontario. I have the hose, viscocity cup, wrench, book, little cleaning brush and power cable. He is sending me the machine and gun.

I have had nothing but amazing service from them and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Interesting. I'm setting up a second shop in a small part of the basement it won't have a full compliment of woodworking tools, like my main shop, but I'll have the things I use most there.

I've turned to the green and gold side too!

fxxk0p.jpg

Festool; Dust Extractor CT36, Router OF1400, Domino DF500 Joiner, T18+3 Cordless Drill, Carvex PS420 Jigsaw, ETS 150/3 Random Orbital Sander, Track Saw TS55 and a couple of FS800 Guide Rails.

2nkuagm.jpg

Powermatic; Table Saw, 14" Bandsaw, and 18" Drill Press.

Festool Kapex KS120 Sliding Compound Miter Saw.

My primary shop is Delta/Porter-Cable, but when I set that up ~15 years ago they were a different company than they are today.

I *almost* went with the SawStop too, but a couple of things concerned me, for one the company is relatively new, and with the proprietary brake, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get a replacement in 10-20 years. Also, I use dados occasionally so switching out braking mechanisms to do so really didn't appeal to me. So, the Powermatic tablesaw was my next best choice.

Now, I just need to find someone to carry all this into the basement... someone suggested piano movers. The Festool Systainer are easy, the 400 pound tablesaw not so much! :)

Tony

--

Interesting. I'm setting up a second shop in a small part of the basement it won't have a full compliment of woodworking tools, like my main shop, but I'll have the things I use most there.

I've turned to the green and gold side too!

fxxk0p.jpg

Festool; Dust Extractor CT36, Router OF1400, Domino DF500 Joiner, T18+3 Cordless Drill, Carvex PS420 Jigsaw, ETS 150/3 Random Orbital Sander, Track Saw TS55 and a couple of FS800 Guide Rails.

2nkuagm.jpg

Powermatic; Table Saw, 14" Bandsaw, and 18" Drill Press.

Festool Kapex KS120 Sliding Compound Miter Saw.

My primary shop is Delta/Porter-Cable, but when I set that up ~15 years ago they were a different company than they are today.

I *almost* went with the SawStop too, but a couple of things concerned me, for one the company is relatively new, and with the proprietary brake, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get a replacement in 10-20 years. Also, I use dados occasionally so switching out braking mechanisms to do so really didn't appeal to me. So, the Powermatic tablesaw was my next best choice.

Now, I just need to find someone to carry all this into the basement... someone suggested piano movers. The Festool Systainer are easy, the 400 pound tablesaw not so much! :)

Tony

--

Looking good Tony. Have fun setting up!

Had these delivered this morning at 6am...it was worth getting up for! !

Really impressed with the quality! I put a straightedge on both of these cast iron tops and both are perfect! Cant wait to get them set up and work with them.

Last piece to this puzzle is the powermatic 15hh and the mobile base for the jointer which should be in next week!

post-16857-142565582268_thumb.jpgpost-16857-142565582729_thumb.jpg