Setting up shop!

shaneymack

My shop is the same width as yours but a bit longer and whilst I lust after other larger shops, I know that my previous ones were a lot smaller but I still managed to make some nice stuff in them. Just be tidy and organised and put things away. You will be fine if you lay it out well. Ensure that your dust system is not permanently fixed so that you can move it around with new ideas and machine placement happens. It is an organic process and will never stop. 

30x40!!! Thats insane! Is that a hobby shop? I was thinking of building an outbuilding but with the ridiculous amount of money it took to tool an entire shop from scratch that idea got nixed. So i have to deal with the 15.5x 25.5 shop. Atleast it will be well equipped!

30x40!!! Thats insane! Is that a hobby shop? I was thinking of building an outbuilding but with the ridiculous amount of money it took to tool an entire shop from scratch that idea got nixed. So i have to deal with the 15.5x 25.5 shop. Atleast it will be well equipped!

It is a hobby but most of my major tool purchases were paid for on commissioned projects. My shop was a 2 car garage for 10 years and it works just fine.

• Like 1

My shop is the same width as yours but a bit longer and whilst I lust after other larger shops, I know that my previous ones were a lot smaller but I still managed to make some nice stuff in them. Just be tidy and organised and put things away. You will be fine if you lay it out well. Ensure that your dust system is not permanently fixed so that you can move it around with new ideas and machine placement happens. It is an organic process and will never stop.

Well i managed last time i had my shop in there. I was able to build full kitchens and furniture. Its just not ideal. Would be nice to have 30x40! I agree organisation and keeping tidy is the key with a small shop.

Mike, you need to spend more time making projects in that amazing shop and less time posting pictures of it on here. I can't get over my jealousy if I keep seeing the pictures. =p

I've learned a lot here during my shop build and try to pass that knowledge along when possible. Believe me, I was plenty jealous of others here working on cool projects while I was cutting OSB and rolling paint - so the jealousy goes both ways :)

I am working on projects finally in the new shop and just completed my outfeed table. I have some small projects going - table saw sleds, dog feeder, and shadow box. Starting small to transition my mind from construction work to woodworking. Then it's on to platform bed and Roubo - just don't know what order yet or in parallel. 

Before my machines start coming in (this friday) i wanted to do something with the walls to facilitate storage. I was thinking of putting 3/4 plywood on all walls and then french cleats on top of that. I think that would give me that opportunity to put anything anywhere and move it at any point. I also think some wood on the walls would be a welcomed change to the boring drywall. I have 2 windows in there so i am not overly concerned with the plywood walls causing it to be less bright. What do you guys think?

My shop got a lot brighter once I painted the OSB walls and ceiling white. You can put French cleats up over the drywall as long as you hit studs. Personally I would put up the cleats, cabinets, and plywood as needed. Windows don't allow any light in past afternoon in the winter!

The only problem with screwing in the studs is that my exterior walls are firred wirth horizontal 1x3 16"oc. That means my cleats would have to be every 16" which doesnt make a whole lot of sense. I was thinking spacing them every 2" or so.

I also dont want to make garage gloomy....oh decisions, decisions....

Before my machines start coming in (this friday) i wanted to do something with the walls to facilitate storage. I was thinking of putting 3/4 plywood on all walls and then french cleats on top of that. I think that would give me that opportunity to put anything anywhere and move it at any point. I also think some wood on the walls would be a welcomed change to the boring drywall. I have 2 windows in there so i am not overly concerned with the plywood walls causing it to be less bright. What do you guys think?

Personally, I wouldn't.  Seems like quite a bit of time and money for minimal gains and some drawbacks.  I did french cleats on about an 8' run along one shop wall to hang cabinets, over sheetrock on 16" studs.  Lots of weight in the cabs and they are rock solid.

But its your shop and if you really want to do it - have at it!  Then post pics.

Personally, I wouldn't. Seems like quite a bit of time and money for minimal gains and some drawbacks. I did french cleats on about an 8' run along one shop wall to hang cabinets, over sheetrock on 16" studs. Lots of weight in the cabs and they are rock solid.

But its your shop and if you really want to do it - have at it! Then post pics.

I think you are right. I will probably only do one wall for now and see what my needs are as i build in there.