ACK! - Another "which tool" thread

rodger.

I have been awaiting a major tool purchase for a few weeks. I am on the precipice, and I need a push.

I have a 6" jointer (delta floor standing model x-series) and it has served me well for years. I have become frustrated with its 6" capacity, so I thought I would go 8" jointer.

After kicking the idea around the forum board, particle gave me some great advice on jointers (thanks PB). I almost pulled the trigger on a general 8" jointer, but decided to wait a few days to let it sit.

After asking a question about a tracksaw on the forum, I realized that this could be opportunity to buy a bandsaw. I don't currently have one, and with a jointer size budget, I could get a nice one (Laguna 14" perhaps).

Or, with the festool prices set to spike here in a few days, I could get a tracksaw and a few new hand tools I have been eying for a while (Veritas router plane, plow plane, etc).

So, the question as always, which way to go.

If you don't know me or haven't checked out my journals, I do a lot of work with solid wood. I do some work with ply, but not as much as some others. I typically build frames for artwork, small and medium Tables, small and medium cabinets and cases, bookshelves, raised panel doors, and the other usual furniture stuff. Don't do chairs yet, and do almost no veneer work.

Any thought or opinions? Here are my likely choices, brand wise:

Option 1 - new jointer (general 8" with extra long tables)

http://www.general.ca/products/1_general/80_jointer/80-200.html

Option 2 - Laguna 14" bandsaw

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/1412-Bandsaw

Option 3 - festool 55req track saw, veritas router plane, plus another speciality hand plane

I do not currently have 220, but would run it for the jointer myself and have the ESA inspect and approve it. I don't consider this a cost for the tool, as I already planned on pulling 220 this summer if required.

Total Blunder, and a strange story here...

So i was saupposed to pick up my bandsaw today (Laguna 14 twelve), so Iast night i logged on to watch some videos on assembling it from laguna.com.

Upon watching the podcasts (which were quite good), I realized that the saw may be a bit large for the space I intended it to go.  So i did a rough mock up from cardboard and placed it in my shop.

Far too big.

So i moved things around a while, had a beer, and moved things again.  No luck.   Just to big for my space.

So after some thinking, I realized that the only way to get a band saw in was to move my bosch CSMS.  I tried to move the saw, but the thing is just too big.  Ack.

So i cancelled my order for the bandsaw.  Realizing that I need a mitre saw still, and I am very tight on space...I came to the realization that i need a kapex to make room for the bandsaw.  So I bought a kapex today instead of the bandsaw.  The bandsaw will have to wait untl I get the Kapex up and running.

So long story short, I bought a Kapex on the last day of the sale (20% increase tomorrow). Because of the sale, there are no Kapexs left to be had.  Miine will arrive in late March for pick up (but i paid today to save the extra money).

So after all the dissapointment of today (first not getting a bandsaw, and then dropping a bunch of money on a kapex I can't yet have) I decided that I needed cheering up. So i bought a few things for myself:

post-6372-0-04662600-1425177599_thumb.jp     post-6372-0-70087300-1425177632_thumb.jp

So if you were following my previous posts, it looks like I took secret option 4 - Kapex.

Overall it will be a great addition to the shop.  It will replace my massive bosch, which was on its last legs anyway (brake is done, blade guard is only partially functional). C'est la vie.

Ha! but you and I are in the same situation. I am going to mothball my bosch scms when I set up my band saw and see if I can live without a chop saw. for my workflow I think I will be ok. A miter saw station takes up a surprising amount of space.

Mike I have never used a miter for woodworking and you can't beat a table saw crosscut sled for accuracy. The only advantage I can see for a miter saw is if you had to crosscut a lot of long boards.

Mike I have never used a miter for woodworking and you can't beat a table saw crosscut sled for accuracy. The only advantage I can see for a miter saw is if you had to crosscut a lot of long boards.

Or if your space is small and a crosscut sled cannot handle longer boards.

Congrats on the new tools! It's too bad about that bandsaw, I plan on getting one once I get more settled down. The discount on the Kapex seems like a good score. I don't own nor have I ever owned a Miter Saw. I just think they take up a lot of space and a bit overrated in a woodworking shop especially one that is tight on space but to each their own. The router plane is surely a nice pick up! I owned that exact Pax handsaw and was thoroughly disappointed but you may have better luck than I did. 

Congrats on the new tools! It's too bad about that bandsaw, I plan on getting one once I get more settled down. The discount on the Kapex seems like a good score. I don't own nor have I ever owned a Miter Saw. I just think they take up a lot of space and a bit overrated in a woodworking shop especially one that is tight on space but to each their own. The router plane is surely a nice pick up! I owned that exact Pax handsaw and was thoroughly disappointed but you may have better luck than I did.

What did u not like about the saw?