Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

This looks awesome Josh. This build is definitely on my short list.

Question for those of you who use a power planer for flattening. Are you using a large stationary planer? I can't imagine a lunchbox has enough balls to push that heavy slab through - am I wrong?

I've seen these large slabs go through a lunchbox planer. I think proper support on both sides would be the key.

I also know that a lot of people just go straight at it with hand planes.

Yeah, even though you can run both of these slabs through a planer (which is one of the features of this design), the entire top still needs to be flattened across both slabs once they are mounted to the frame. I also flattened mine by hand, but you can make up a router sled to accomplish this task. Either method can be a lot of work, but as Josh has discovered, it's really satisfying to get it finished!

Josh...I had to go to the dictionary to get the right words...Here's a list of synonyms for Awesome!

Awesome -
Causing wonder or astonishment <the awesome beauty of Josh's Roubo>
Synonyms amazing, astonishing, astounding, eye-opening, fabulous, miraculous, portentous, prodigious, staggering, stunning, stupendous, sublime, surprising, wonderful, wondrous.

Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...